Pontoon Boat - Water Glide 3rd Pontoon

martybhawk

Cadet
These are supposed to increase speed and fuel efficiency. With price of gas going up, up, up, may be worth the investment. Has anyone added one of these to their boat? Do they really work? Are there other alternatives?

http://www.pontoonwaterglide.com/

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoon Boat - Water Glide 3rd Pontoon

If you want high speeds it sounds great, however most people I know with pontoon boats run mid range or less. I have a 20' with a 40hp, according to the site I would need a min of a 70hp to make it work. I also assume the fuel savings are only at WOT. At lower throttle settings, the extra drag would decrease speed and increase fuel usage.

Just my opinion.
Mike

cgBosun3

Seaman

Several folks at the Pontoon and Deckboat World site have first hand experience with the WaterGlide. Search the forums at www.pdbworld.com.
Good luck!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The waterglide, (if large enough) is an atempt to convert your pontoon into a v-hull with outriggers or "training toons".

studlymandingo

Commander

I understand what the product is trying to accomplish. I would say it would be reasonably effective; I would imagine that it would make a rough water ride a little rougher though.

Have you considered a deck boat?​

seadog52

Recruit

My last pontoon was helped a lot by the addition of a PWG. I gained about 20% speed and a big improvement in performance. If you have a heavy load on, it will not help much because it does not add that much flotation, but for most application within their guidelines, it is a good possibility.

TexasTiger

Recruit

I have purchased and installed the WaterGlide. Takes some tuning to get expected results. You will need to add a plate or lowering mechinism to your boat. Things to consider. 1. Do you like the ride of your pontoon? The WaterGlide will take it away and ride will be much rougher. 2. Be aware of type trailer and if a WaterGlide will fit. 3. Force of water hitting fiberglass unit held by aluminum rail. LOTS of vibration. 4. Are you boat savy? Ask too many questions and you will be called an idiot. Not nice people.

sammons275

Recruit

These are supposed to increase speed and fuel efficiency. With price of gas going up, up, up, may be worth the investment. Has anyone added one of these to their boat? Do they really work? Are there other alternatives?

I have a waterglide under my 20 ft. pontoon and yes they really do work if installed correctly.This boat was moving 23.5 mph with just me and no gear with a 90hp motor.With the glide i got 29 and another overlooked advantage is you can jump up on 4ft. swells and run wide open and not take on any water.I recently upgraded to a 115 suzuki four and this boat will now run 36 mph on gps.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you'll notice the pictures illustrating that 3rd middle toon you will see the bottom of the pontoons deck has been sealed with probably stainless steel sheeting (expensive) therfore water and wind can no longer hit the bottom deck I-beam supports which create drag and slow the pontoon down...Cover your I-beams and you will pick up speed and a smoother ride. It's all about areodynamics my boys..... Been there,seen it,done it........Tom

seldomseen

Cadet

Yes, at their web site they show the aluminum sheeting installed under the deck on each side of the composite third hull, and obviously this enhancement to the hydrodynamics will increase speed by its elimination of the waves hitting the crossmembers and slowing the toon. Obviously there would be no increase in gas milage until 13 to 15 mph was acheived. Likely the water glide would not make much improvement unless in the before status 15 mph could be acheived.

gmc1962

Cadet

:rolleyes:Pontoon and Deck Boat magazine said they measured the fuel comsumption before and after on a 60hp boat and went from 7 to 4 gph @ 15 MPH.....I thought that was a pretty big difference. This was actually a test PDB did on the Pontoon Water Glide themselves not a blue sky statement by the seller.

Last edited:

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anyone had the experience with a waterglide when having 8+ people on board??? I know someone said it probably wouldn't help much but on a 24' boat with a 115 hp motor could it increase maybe by 5 mph???? I think with 8+ people 5 mph would be a great attribute.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

If you'll notice the pictures illustrating that 3rd middle toon you will see the bottom of the pontoons deck has been sealed with probably stainless steel sheeting (expensive) therfore water and wind can no longer hit the bottom deck I-beam supports which create drag and slow the pontoon down...Cover your I-beams and you will pick up speed and a smoother ride. It's all about areodynamics my boys..... Been there,seen it,done it........Tom

The website refers to that as "performance sheeting" and is available through Water Glide for an additional $150 (I recently paid $5 for a 3' x 0.25" aluminum rod). That number actually seems reasonable. Makes me wonder about doing just that as an upgrade. I wonder what part gets hit the most and if only doing a portion would be beneficial? Need to see what's going on underneath the boat next time I'm out.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cost Analysis: How much gas are you going to have to buy to break even?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I figure it's more than just gas. I think it would make for a quieter ride and perhaps extend the life of the wood decking. I know my deck gets pretty wet just from being underway.

I did see another thread where the DIY cost was closer to $400 or $500. At that price it is not as attractive to me.

hotmod

Cadet

I would be interested in knowing what the cost of the waterglide would be for an 18' bass buggy like they tested. I feel like it would be a big help on mine & should make launching & recovery much easier on some lakes where it is hard to get the trailer deep enough for the toons to float.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Eric, I was thinking about the cost of the waterglide vs fuel savings. The sheeting would probably be a fine idea.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

No problem... I assumed since your post followed mine it was in response to me... Yeah, I feel the same way about any 3rd toon option... That's a big upgrade. But my 19' Lowe has a capacity of 8 and I think the most I've ever done was six, and that included 3 small kiddos. Maybe if I ever load it down with 8 adults I'll change my mind.

hotmod

Cadet

After finding the price of $1950.00 plus $250.00 shipping I guess I will just have to do without. I am, however considering sealing the underside of my deck with .060 or .080" aluminum sheeting.
I would also like to move my motor back. I have thought about using a jack plate like the bass boys use to move it back 10 or 12" but not sure the transom will stand it. The other alternative would be to have the transom extended. I would have to extend the transom 14" to get the motor back even with the rear most deck & the end of the toons.
Any input would be appreaciated

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I like the under-sheeting idea. For the first time, after owning this boat for a year, I watched what was happening under the boat while under way. Whole lot of splashing going on. I can see how the sheeting would really do some good.