MARINE GRADE DECKING OR NOT

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys, yall know I got a big TOTAL RENOVATION.
So I need lots of advise. Ive enjoyed input thus far and learned a great deal reading old post.

Are there alternates to using Marine Grade plywood to redeck my pontoon? Advantages and disadvantages.
Thank guys

alldodge

Staff member
Decking on a pontoon, I would use pressure treated plywood

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
AllDodge, I thought pressure treated didn't play well with aluminum. I used outdoor construction grade on mine, sealed with vynalester resin on both sides. There are different opinions on sealing or not. I chose to seal, but it's only been one season, so far so good. If I have an issue, it'll show up eventually, but replacing the decking isn't to hard of a job compared to rebuilding boat stringers and decking......

fishrdan

Admiral
You want pontoon decking, CCA pressure treated marine grade plywood. Don't use pressure treated plywood from the big box stores, it will eat your aluminum toon. Untreated marine grade isn't good either as it will rot, expensive, but it will rot.

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
fishrdan you know of a resource (purchase / price) for the CCA preasure treated marine plywood?

alldodge

Staff member
Never had a toon so learned something, thanks.
I used BCX plywood to replace the transom in my cruiser. The BCX has exterior glue so its some what weather/rain tight. Could put a coat of oil base paint on it which would penetrate the fibers. Would not spend the coin on ABX marine grade plywood

fishrdan

Admiral
Depends where you are at, if in the midwest Gander Mountain used to carry it, or a version of it, PlydekXL or XLplydeck, something of the sort.

The link to pontoonstuff (check my first post) says free shipping, and that's probably your best bet. Finding CCA plywood is tough since the EPA banned it, well banned it from places you could easily buy it. I know I couldn't buy it locally, and I live in a big city....

ahicks

Captain
Mine came from pontoonstuff. I had the boat completely down, and don't want to do that again soon. I used the same logic when it came to floor covering, going with a top of the line marine vinyl.

Some of the companies selling ply want 75.00 if they have to deliver to a home address. You can beat that by having it delivered to a local trucking terminal and picking it up yourself there - that's FREE! No 75 dollar charge. Just make sure you find out where that terminal is while ordering.

And regular treated ply (the green stuff) will corrode alum. it comes into contact with. That's the same exact reason you don't use it for bunks on a pontoon trailer or lift.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buddy's toon was nothing more than ACX. replaced nearly 25 years ago

bigdee

Commander
buddy's toon was nothing more than ACX. replaced nearly 25 years ago

A+ that's what my toon has.....20+ years sitting in open dock 7 months. Still solid. Don't seal it needs to breath.....sunshine is good because the faster it dries the longer it lasts.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This is just a guess, but I suspect the formulation used to treat plywood has changed over the years. I seem to recall the old stuff was much more toxic to humans (and insects) but did not require the treated screws needed with contemporary stuff. So giving contemporary advice on plywood based on some you bought more than twenty years ago is a bit like telling a guy with a 2016 Honda to check his carburetor. Your experience may not be applicable any more.

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So if I used ACX over Marine grade ply, what side of the ACX would go DOWN (waterside)?
I am going to use a marine vynal (teak) floor for topside deck.

ahicks

Captain
Yup, try buying that ACX you used 20+ years ago. It hasn't been available for at least 10 years.....

There's a good reason people are now spending 75.+ for decent decking ply. It's not because we're stupid....

bigdee

Commander
Yup, try buying that ACX you used 20+ years ago. It hasn't been available for at least 10 years.....

There's a good reason people are now spending 75.+ for decent decking ply. It's not because we're stupid....

Just checked at my local Lowes store. 23/32" ACX in stock and on sale today for $35. Top sanded A.....bottom C, exterior rated. NOT pressure treated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no one is implying anyone is stupid.

simply providing real world info. ACX is simply exterior grade glue (water proof) and one side with a sanded grade A veneer

the glue formulations for ACX haven't changed much. the wood used is still commercially harvested white wood which could be pine, spruce, or any of the firs. the ACX is generally higher number of thinner cross-grained laminations to provide stiffness for flooring, decking and roofing vs CCX or CDX

CCX uses the same glue as ACX, however both faces are not sanded and only grade C. CCX is usually used for side walls to be covered with tyvek or felt and is generally cheaper. CCX treated is simply CCX that has been treated. most are AG rated (above ground) and treated with ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary) or CA (copper azole) or MCQ (Micro Copper Quanternary_ or MCA (Micro Copper Azole)

CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenate) is the and is the old process and generally difficult to get due to EPA (could be the whole Arsenic thing). it is generally the "green" treated lumber of yesteryear

general treated ply tends to have less layers of thicker material

specialty treated ply is available such as marine ply

bigdee

Commander
The logic I used for using ACX was I knew the carpet would need replacing long before the decking. So if the decking looked bad on next carpet change (which it did not) I would replace it too. I mean if you strip everything down to replace the carpet it is only one more step to replace the decking. Plus you don't have to deal with all that old glue.

Merc40hp

Cadet
A.F.C. 8511, you should consider plastic sheeting as well before buying anything. The benefits of plastics' are its waterproof, will not rot, corrode or conduct. Its easy to work with and last forever if covered and fastened properly and cost is not out of line if you considering service life. Ref: https://www.acmeplastics.com.

ahicks

Captain
Plastic is expensive, it's heavy, and it's very likely going to sag between the stringers eventually. Alum. would be a better plan if not using ply.