BOAT MOTOR. NEW OR USED? GO

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a healthy budget for the motor on my pontoon rebuild.
But if I can save a few $$$$ I will.
I have leaned towards a new 4 stroke 90 or 115 for my 24ft toon.
With a moderate future use what are ya'lls thoughts?
I dont want to be stranded but Im new to boats.
Thoughts?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
New 4 stroke 115 Merc on my old boat. I should have done that before I went through two old motors.

Reason: Good boat engine mechanics have a backlog of work when you want the job done and they are expensive. Cheaper boat engine mechanics are unreliable and not much less expensive. You don't want to waste half of a six month boating season waiting for repairs.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
If talking 4 stroke, (I'm completely spoiled, that's all I think any more) Yammi and Merc 115's maybe. The Honda steps up big time in weight going to 115, but the 90's are still OK.

After that thought, how qualified/interested are you in doing your own work? Personally, I absolutely hate dealers and will do about anything to avoid them. Expensive and incompetent are the first 2 reasons. I could go on for a while, but it gets boring....

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ahicks,
I am no machanic. ALL OTHER ASPECTS OF THIS REBUILD ARE WELL WITHIN MY ABILITY. Just not the motor.

So you say Honda over Yamaha and Mercury?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think what he said is the Honda 115 weighs significantly more than the two other brands.

A.F.C. 8511

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I see that now after rereading it...lol

Whats the deal on 135s vs 115s?

ahicks

Captain
Yes, Tommy has it right.

I think you pick the best deal you can get between the 3 brands. You do see some Suzuki's, but I don't know a thing about them. I went Honda as I got a smokin deal on it. It had been sitting for 3 years, needed major service, but it was clean, not all banged up. It was a 99 that was all original. It didn't run right, so I knew the carbs were gunked up, but the compression checked out and it didn't rattle, so I was good to go regarding the real expensive stuff. I got it for 1800. and spent 300 doing the carbs, water pump, spark plugs, and resealing the lower unit. Took 3 tries to get the carbs right, but my patience paid off in one sweet running 4 stroke for my project boat, that I'll likely never wear out.

Note that all but the newest Merc 4 Strokes use Yammi power heads (75, 90, and 115 are the same power head), and the older Honda's used Mercury lower units!

Honda 75&90's uses the Honda Civic engine stood on it's end. The 115 goes to the much heavier 4 cyl. Legacy (?) engine.

I ask about your ability as the carbed 4 strokes are something many non professionals can still work on. No super specialized exotic tools required.

They say the injected engines (fuelies) are much more reliable as there are no carbs that need to be rebuilt frequently. While it's true a fuelie has no carb, it does have fuel injectors and fuel pumps that can be every bit as problematic - only now you need a dealer to at least give you a hand....

Either way the carbed or the fuelies will need to be well taken care of to prevent expensive issues that can happen frequently. Just because you had the carbs rebuilt in the spring does not give you a license to ignore the engine for any period of time. Try that, and you'll be doing ANOTHER round. Fuel issues really haunt these engine unless preventave measures are taken. Here in Fl. the 4 strokes are super popular, fuel problems are frequent, so many are adding fuel stabilizer on every tank fill. -Al

ahicks

Captain
135 Merc's and Yammi's are 6 cylinder, and MUCH heavier! Out of the question for a conventional twin tube 'toon.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
anything man-made will fail. new gets you a warranty

I myself would buy a Merc as I personally know many of the people on the assembly lines as well as the engineering department. I dont know anyone in Japan.

icwingman

Seaman
Go with new. Think warranty and reliability. You dont need down time because of a motor issue. Get the 115 CT Merc good motor.