Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
See more
See less

trolling motor size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trolling motor size

need to put a trolling motor on a 20ft with a 40hp, what would be a good size to use?

with or without current
    with or without wind

since your in the 'toon section, I am assuming a 'toon

problem with toons, is if there is a wind, you will need lots of power to keep it trolling where you want.

without wind and current, a little 36# thrust unit will keep you moving along for what you want.

with wind and current, a 15hp /( minimum ) kicker may be needed
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Check the manufacturer web sites. They have guides to help you choose. There's a lot of variables.

Comment

50 to 55# will work with moderate wind and/or 4mph current. Also keeps you in the 12 volt range.

Comment

My friend and I both have 18' pontoons, we both love to fish so we both installed wireless remote control motor guides, my friend chose the 12v, 55# model and I chose the 24v 75# model. Like Danforth said, wind is a factor when trolling a pontoon boat, but I've learned that dragging a 2' foot sea anchor behind your toon will cancel out any crosswind and allow you to stay on your heading and speed with ease. The real difference in the thrust and voltage of the two boats is my friend will deplete his battery in a 3/4 hours of continuous use, while I can go for a full day or longer on a single charge. Keep in mind the wind isn't always a factor, so on calm flat days, you can troll for days without recharging. And with an onboard charger, its a snap to recharge batteries over night.

Comment

Originally posted by Merc40hp View Post
            My friend and I both have 18' pontoons, we both love to fish so we both installed wireless remote control motor guides, my friend chose the 12v, 55# model and I chose the 24v 75# model. Like Danforth said, wind is a factor when trolling a pontoon boat, but I've learned that dragging a 2' foot sea anchor behind your toon will cancel out any crosswind and allow you to stay on your heading and speed with ease. The real difference in the thrust and voltage of the two boats is my friend will deplete his battery in a 3/4 hours of continuous use, while I can go for a full day or longer on a single charge. Keep in mind the wind isn't always a factor, so on calm flat days, you can troll for days without recharging. And with an onboard charger, its a snap to recharge batteries over night.
            Thanks since you are using a pontoon I have another question for you, I have an older Evinrude BF2K floor mount trolling motor, I can't find any info on it but thought I would use it anyway. Since it is mounted through the floor is there anything I can do to help seal up the mounting screws so water will not get into the decking? I'm putting it over carpet so I thought I might try rubber washers on bottom of the mounting plate, I'm not crazy about using a caulk in case of removing and I don't want the caulk over the carpet. Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jlscjs View Post

Thanks since you are using a pontoon I have another question for you, I have an older Evinrude BF2K floor mount trolling motor, I can't find any info on it but thought I would use it anyway. Since it is mounted through the floor is there anything I can do to help seal up the mounting screws so water will not get into the decking? I'm putting it over carpet so I thought I might try rubber washers on bottom of the mounting plate, I'm not crazy about using a caulk in case of removing and I don't want the caulk over the carpet. Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks
              Use 3m 4200 to seal the holes. It will remain pliable enough to remove while still providing a good seal against water.
              Bob, Seneca Lake NY
              '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
              '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
              Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
              Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

jlscjs, The BF2K is a early 1990 series motor with only 26.5 max pounds of thrust at 30 amps . Considering your mounting it on a pontoon boat which is harder to push and steer than a single hull boat, you may want to invest in a higher thrust motor otherwise any wind at all, and you'lll be going in every direction except the one you want.

Comment

Working...
                X