Battery location

NYBo

Admiral
My starting battery, in a battery box, is currently located on the starboard side platform behind the deck. (The permanent gas tank is on a matching platform on the port side.) Would it make more sense to mount it in the rear seat compartment, proviing I ensure adequate ventilation?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't know where you store the boat, but moving the battery would seem to be more secure. Out of sight, out of thieving eyes.

Added ventilation probably isn't really needed IMO.

NYBo

Admiral
It would also make for easier access if it went dead on the water and needed to be jumped. I was wondering if placing the battery all the way at the stern was more common than in a compartment.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I do see a lot of toons with the battery and gas tank on the rear platform, especially older models. Why, I don't know.

Longer jumper cables or a jump box? Flip a lid or seat open or run the risk of the battery going overboard if the battery is in a box held to the deck with a strap that is undone to open the box. That's my luck.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i put mine under the back seat and fuel tanks on the toons on the back

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I rebuilt my toon, with new seating. I installed the battery in the port bench seat compartment, in a battery box, and vented the seat. I also installed the fuel tank in the starboard seat compartment, vented well also. I've seen enough toons with the fuel tanks on the back of the toon, and nothing but fuel issues, as they forget to close the vent, and get water in the fuel, and ignored battery connections also.

ahicks

Captain
^^ X2 ^^

I did the same on my latest build and recommend the same. Battery may not need venting, but I feel much better about it...

Much cleaner look. The only note was I had to make a new set of cables. The first try were too small. I ended up using 6ga as they needed to be about 8' so I could route them out of the way of everything. Routed under the floor, so they needed to e securely fastened in a way that would guarantee no shorts for many years....

NYBo

Admiral
Thanks, guys. You've convinced me: under the seat it will go. Fortunately, my cables appear to be long enough so it should be pretty straightforward.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually the batteries and the tanks are located on the back of the toon logs because the manufacturer was lazy and the stock length fuel hose and cables would reach without any mods (longer cables or longer hose). this of course was for their convenience and not the boat owners

on a buddies toon, batteries were moved under the bench seat many years ago, along with the fuel tanks

on another buddies toon, where the thing was aft-heavy, we moved the batteries and fuel tank to under seats in the front of the toon.

NYBo

Admiral
Well, I just measured, and my rear seat isn't tall enough for the battery. Perhaps under the helm...

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like an uncomfortable seat, or a really tall battery. Can the seat be raised?

NYBo

Admiral
Sounds like an uncomfortable seat, or a really tall battery. Can the seat be raised?

Battery box is about 11" high but the seat base is only about 9". Standard Group 24. Not practical to raise it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Battery box is about 11" high but the seat base is only about 9". Standard Group 24. Not practical to raise it.

mine was close to not fitting also. Barley enough height, but it does fit.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The battery in my pontoon is under the rear seat in a battery tray rather than a battery box. The holddown across the top of the battery only adds about a half inch to the battery height. This might be an option to consider.

NYBo

Admiral
The battery in my pontoon is under the rear seat in a battery tray rather than a battery box. The holddown across the top of the battery only adds about a half inch to the battery height. This might be an option to consider.

I had thought of going that route but I store the metal poles for my cover in that compartment. Not enough protection against a dead short.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Battery fumes under the helm could cause corrosion problems with the wiring.