Pontoon Boat advice

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Greetings all........ Planning on selling my cuddy runabout next spring and get a pontoon boat. perhaps new, not sure... I want the ability to host more folks on outings.. the 20ft cuddy I have is nice.. but more than 4 people and it's crowded. want to get back to an outboard motor also.. easier to deal with.. are there any pontoon brands I should stay away from? I'm interesting in a 20ft unit.. what minimum engine should would you recommend? I understand a bunk trailer is the way to go also...... thanks all...

ahicks

Captain
First, there is a dedicated pontoon forum here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...ities/pontoons

Second, recommendations regarding a particular size 'toon that are worth a darn need to take into account the water it's going to be used on, whether it must be trailered each time it's used, etc. Generally, 24 footers are preferred - unless you are trailering exclusively. Power can also be all over the place, depending on how you plan on using the boat! It's easy to say the more the better, but that's just not always required. Half or better of the toons on our 700 acre lake are 50hp or less. There's also tri-toons to be considered, and 8' wide vs. 8.5' wide.....

Last, the float on, bunk style trailers handle better on the road (for obvious reasons), but unless you are trailering a lot, the crank up style that fit between the pontoons are MUCH more versatile, and are capable of launching a pontoon boat on a wet rag (very shallow ramps are fine!). They outnumber the bunk type in the area of Mi that I'm in 25:1. Down in FL where I winter, it's the exact opposite. Some people have never seen the type that fit's between the toons. My point is, don't write them off until you're up to speed with both types!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
saw the dedicated room late.. sorry...

water is NYS Finger Lakes... 10-30 miles long.. 1-2 miles wide. ea.. trailering a lot? yup exclusively... it's generally 1 hour drag to a few of these big lakes., was looking at Star Craft... and Sun Craft units.. i don't like look of narrow scissor trailers . seem to easy for load to shift out of balance... as to engine... most of new ones come with 50-60hp Yamaha's or Merc's. id be happy with either.... one is likely as reliable as the other....

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Toon Manf..

Hello all. any brand I should stay away from? $25K price range..... am going to sell my run about in spring and purchase a pontoon 20ft likely... I'd be trailering exclusively... bunk type best I am reading... thanks all

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved the original thread into the pontoon section and combined both threads for you.

Good luck finding the Toon of your dreams. :smile:

ahicks

Captain
Sounds like you're on the right track. I've been completely, totally spoiled by the 4 stroke engines. You might have a look at Honda, as well as the Merc and Yammi. All 3 very popular. If your plan is to have this thing a while, look into the deck material used. Ply lasts a long time, but plastic and aluminum last a lot longer. Vinyl floor coverings are taking over where carpet used to be king. Easier to keep clean for sure. Dark colors, on ANYTHING get hot on sunny days. These guys with black boats and black bimini tops will struggle justifying their color choices on a hot day....

Check out the bottom of the toons for what will see the wear when beaching. Something protecting the toon from front to rear a good plan. Check out the spray fins for how they are attached. They're constantly being bumped. Some are just butt weded to the tube and are not very sturdy. Others may have a lip that gives the weld much more strength.

Last, I wouldn't buy a boat that didn't have a ladder permanently mounted in the right rear corner. That's another item that will spoil you. No more messing with a ladder. Unsnap it, flip it down, and you're ready to go. Make sure the steps are wide enough to be comfortable on your bare feet! 1" square tubing doesn't cut it!

NYBo

Admiral
A word of caution about the Finger Lakes, at least the larger ones: due to the long fetch, it doesn't take too much wind to make the water rather snotty with little notice. That can make a pontoon boat a rather unpleasant place to be. Pick your days carefully and watch the weather closely. (I live on Seneca.)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks all. Yes I?ve been on Seneca and Cayuga. Enjoy Skaneatles the most. Public dock. Direct access to town. That?s where I will be mostly. Watching weather for sure 👍