Polishing the pontoon.

cbain

Seaman
I know I'm waisting my time polishing the pontoon but I do like the look and the work really does not bother me. However, I can't seem to get passed the black residue when polishing. I am using a airway 10" wheel on a 3500rpm polisher. (Brown rouge) The toons where sanded at 120,180,400 and lastly 1000. I can buff that one area until I'm blue in the face and I can't get it to go away.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The black is aluminum, if it dries on the surface it will be hard to remove, there are many polishing compounds on the market designed for aluminum, so try a different one. Once polished you need to put something like Sharkhide on it or it will be dull again so fast it will make your head spin. Sharkhide has a complete "how to" guide to achieve the desired result.

cbain

Seaman
Thanks for the sharkhide tip. My problem is I can't even get it to polish because of the black. Is the brown bar not what I should use for the first cut?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At work we use green, then blue to bring out the luster

Try wiping the black with a rag full of acetone. you may simply have too much wax buildup from your brown bar.

cbain

Seaman
I will try that tonight when I get home. I also have green and the blue bars.