Jackplate on a tritoon

REBEL3068

Cadet
I just bought a 2006 Bennington 22'triton with 150 honda that's has top speed of 32mph
The motor sits back in a box and when I raise it to go into shallow water it's hits top of box and scuffing motor and upholstery
If I put a 12"jackplate on it, it would get it back far enough to eliminate this problem
My question is, would there be any disadvantages in doing this
The motor bolts right on the end of toon

ahicks

Captain
Myself, I'd be looking at modifying the upholstery. The idea of a jack plate whose sole purpose would be allowing clearance for the engine to tilt seems a bit much. That's me though.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think that is normal on that era or toons when the design of the boats was the same as they had been for years, yet they had changed specs and toons to allow larger motors, yet some of the othwr things had not changed to allow big motors to clear.

My in laws had like a 00 Bently with a 115 mercury. It would hit the sundeck when trimmed way up, and if you kept doing it it would scratch as well

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Some toons don't have the strength in the transom to handle the additional stress of the motor being set back further, what HP is it rated for?

REBEL3068

Cadet
it is rated at 150 hp max, and has a Honda 150 on it
I figured a jackplate would be the easiest way to set it back
what if I beefed it up and set the transom back, looks like that is how some of the newer ones are made
will setting the motor back that way help in any performance, or would it hurt any

ahicks

Captain
With a tri-toon, 12" change might be hard to notice from a performance perspective, in my mind anyway.

Thinking that whatever you're going to use to set that engine back 12" isn't going to be free, and if you spoke with an upholstery shop, that same money would likely make the mods you need without affecting the transom structurally.