05 Bentley 243 tritoon questions

Newbie boat owner looking for help. Been around boats for years but just bought this tritoon for the family to cruise and tube on.we had it for about a month and I'm thinking the prop is not right. It's got a 05 Honda 150 with a Sola 4 blade 14.75 x 15p .Top speed is 22 mph vi gps at 5900 rpms with two people on board. That seems slow to me and pulling a tube is not much fun. Out the hole is great and it jumps on plane very quickly. Motor starts and runs great, I'm just thinking the boat should be faster or am I asking to much out of this toon ?

ahicks

Captain
I have a Honda 90 on a conventional 2 tube 24' boat w/24" tubes. 13.75"x13" 3 blade OEM Honda prop turning 6000 (max) rpm and getting 23-24mph (GPS) when lightly loaded. Point being, thinking you might be down on potential top speed as well.

Is this boat set up with the larger center 'toon and lifting strakes you see often on tri-toons?

My bet is that the 4 bladed prop, while surely aiding your hole shot, isn't helping from a top speed standpoint.

Though not likely worth a ton, wondering about installed engine height as well. Engines installed too low don't help a thing either.

Last, you've been around, so you know loading up many of the considerably large storage areas wouldn't help your cause much.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That is slow. I would think you should get upper 20s if not low 30s if it has lifting stakes esp with a tritoon.

My 24 ft Crest with a 60hp johnson 2 stroke will hit 21 with just me on board. You have more than 2x the power. Now that Bently is a good bit heavier than my toon though I bet.

Does not have lifting stakes. Motor is one hole from being as low as it can go and I don't think lifting it up would help because it will ventilate (?) When turned .
To bad they don't make an adjustable prop .
Asked in the prop help section also.
Thanks !

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I doubt that the four blade prop at those speeds is causing a "drag" issue. Changing props to get more speed means more rpm and you are already at 5900 so less pitch puts you over the top in that regard. What you may want to look at is "pontoon specific" props rather than those for planing hulls. Prop "efficiency" can have a bearing on speed so you would need to determine the amount of slip you experience and then research from there. Pontoon props have large rounded "elephant ear" blades and provide better control in reverse.

icwingman

Seaman
Newbie boat owner looking for help. Been around boats for years but just bought this tritoon for the family to cruise and tube on.we had it for about a month and I'm thinking the prop is not right. It's got a 05 Honda 150 with a Sola 4 blade 14.75 x 15p .Top speed is 22 mph vi gps at 5900 rpms with two people on board. That seems slow to me and pulling a tube is not much fun. Out the hole is great and it jumps on plane very quickly. Motor starts and runs great, I'm just thinking the boat should be faster or am I asking to much out of this toon ?

i just bought a 17 suntracker 2 toons with a 115 merc mine does 25 at 4600 cant get motor any faster and hardly trim it up till cavitation starts. Its at dealer now for repair have only 12 hrs on it. i will get back to u when dealer fixes it.