Advice requests

Davinnbrit09

Recruit
Looking for as much advice as I can get...

Been out only on lakes in rental pontoons, but we're looking to pull the trigger and get our own 'toon.

Looking at two log boats, either a 20' w/ 60HP (possibly 90HP) or 22' w/ 90HP (possibly 115HP or 150HP). Usage would likely mostly be river, with the occasional lake. Living in St Louis (near St Charles), rivers have much closer access to water than lakes. Being the Missouri, Illinois or Mississippi Rivers.

We would primarily be cruising the rivers with the occasional adventure of running the boat ashore for some "beach time". In a few years, once the kids are a little older, do some tubing on lakes.

Being this would be our first purchase and with the limited available dealers in the area, we're looking at Sun Trackers as a decent entry level boat that won't break the bank.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

bigdee

Commander
90 HP will be more than adequate for tubing. IMO 150HP on a 20' pontoon is overkill and a waste of $$.

ahicks

Captain
If thinking 4 stroke (highly recommended if you can swing it), both Merc and Yamaha have 115's that weigh about what the Honda 90 does. Those 3 engines are at the top regarding HP available in that weight class. I wouldn't exceed that power or weight. The next step up from there, for all 3 of these manf's, will have serious weight increases that most experienced 2 log pontoon owners will know to avoid. Tri-toons go by a different set of rules, and if you want more power, are a great plan.

Davinnbrit09

Recruit
It seems the general consensus is leading towards a minimum of 90HP, regardless of boat size. Yes?

Would either boat handle well in the rivers I had mentioned?

ahicks

Captain
I think a 24' boat is MUCH more capable on the water, but may be slightly more difficult loading/unloading/trailering. Another thought is 8' vs. 8.5' widths available now. You want the 8.5 in either length. Regarding floor plan, do what you want with the rest, but get the permanent ladder in the RR corner option.

Davinnbrit09

Recruit
Unfortunately one of our tow vehicles has a 4500# max tow capacity, so a 24' would be too much for it.

All Sun Trackers come on a 8.5 beam, so I'll be good there.

Based on your advice, ahicks, it sounds like our best bet would be a 22' with at least a 90HP, no more than 115Hp. Should be fairly manageable on rivers, with plenty of power/handling for tubing on lakes.

Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

bigdee

Commander
My 20' toon has a 85hp 2 stroke Yamaha, and we tube AND wake-board with it.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can pull a tube with anything. Depends on how old the person is and how fast they waNT to be slung around to their level of fun.

The same motor on a longer boat will be faster in the case of a toon. Assuming no huge weight gains. IE a 90 on a 20 would be slower than a 90 on a 22. These are not planing hulls but displacement. The longer the faster. Anyway don't really worry much about that. Back to my original point. I have a 24 ft Crest with a 60hp on it. I can easily pull a tube around with a 225lb man on it with several people on board if I want. We may only be going 18 or 19mph wide open but I will be pulling it. Note I am not really much faster without the tube as having the tube.

Last edited:

Davinnbrit09

Recruit
You can pull a tube with anything. Depends on how old the person is and how fast they waNT to be slung around to their level of fun.

The same motor on a longer boat will be faster in the case of a toon. Assuming no huge weight gains. IE a 90 on a 20 would be slower than a 90 on a 22. These are not planing hulls but displacement. The longer the faster. Anyway don't really woody much about that. Back to my original point. I have a 24 ft Crest with a 60hp on it. I can easily pull a tube around with a 225lb man on it with several people on board if I want. We may only be going 18 or 19mph wide open but I will be pulling it. Note I am not really much faster without the tube as having the tube.

Sounds great clemsonfor, thanks for the info. We're not overly concerned so much about pulling tubes right now. Kids are still too young for it right now.

Right now are biggest worries is making sure we don't have too much trouble on rivers. We live within 30 minutes of both the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. Downstream won't be too bad, with the currents. It's upstream, against the currents, getting back to where we started.

ahicks

Captain
You always need to keep an eye on the weather on bigger bodies of water. Pontoons don't like it well at all when things get too choppy - which can happen quickly.

With 90hp, I doubt current will be much issue, but it wold still pay to ask around. Are there any marinas in the areas you plan on frequenting? If so, a walk through them on a nice day when people are most likely to be using their boats might give you a chance to talk with some people that likely have some first hand experience with the local conditions....

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You always need to keep an eye on the weather on bigger bodies of water. Pontoons don't like it well at all when things get too choppy - which can happen quickly.

With 90hp, I doubt current will be much issue, but it wold still pay to ask around. Are there any marinas in the areas you plan on frequenting? If so, a walk through them on a nice day when people are most likely to be using their boats might give you a chance to talk with some people that likely have some first hand experience with the local conditions....

Or go to the ramp you will use on a Saturday and ask the folks pulling out or in. That's assuming it's a busy ramp and your likely to see a set up similar to what you want

Davinnbrit09

Recruit
I haven't spoken with anyone yet at the marinas, but I scoped one out just the other day that had a Sun Tracker 20' Party Barge with a 90HP Mercury outboard in a slip, so I feel that's a good sign.

Hok1964

Recruit
On a 20 ft pontoon dealer stated largest engine is a 90 Hp. Is this correct as long as it can pull a tube at 20 mph steady I would be happy.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That depends on the boat manufacturer and their rated HP. Some 20ft toons I can see being lower than 90. But yes that sounds right to me. And I would think you could hit 20 mph with a few people on board and a 90hp