new engine old pontoon boat is it prop ventilation

HopeMcCloud

Cadet
Yes. We Did that modification to put the new motor resting on the transom instead of two inches above the transom.

We have bent it back as close to the original position as we can and will let you know if that fixes things when we go out next.

ahicks

Captain
Good, that should be a big help. This pic shows welds where a spray control rail USED to be. When it comes to water splashing around back here, the fact that's missing isn't helping your cause at all either.

Don't forget your engine is kinda low. If your upcoming water trial seems better, I would try raising that engine up a couple of holes for another try.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So you were riding around with that metal plate bent down like that??!!! I bet you gain a mile an hour or two as well. And that plate like thag can easily create an air pocket in the water if run pointing down like that at a good speed in the water before it gets to the prop.

HopeMcCloud

Cadet
Water trial good. Ventilation problem solved.

Fin was missing with old engine too. Due to the type of trailer. It's a high/low that fits between the toons. Very useful on tidal rivers. Mattaponi river Virginia. I guess the old engine didn't get up enough speed to splash as much. New motor splashing increases with speed.

We can live with the splashing. Just keep gas tank on boat deck. I doubt if I can upload a shirt video but I will try.

ahicks

Captain
Excellent!

So, would you have access to some scrap aluminum angle stock? I've made spray deflectors that I bolted to the sides of the engine pod. If you could find something that was 4 inches wide on at least one side, maybe 2" on the other, and 3/16"-1/4" thick (or so) you could cut off a couple of feet and have a pretty heavy duty spray rail. Even channel extrusion wmakes a nice rail.

We use those same trailers here in Mi. quite a bit. You have to be careful backing under and lifting. Otherwise you tear the heck out of those rails

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Water trial good. Ventilation problem solved.

Fin was missing with old engine too. Due to the type of trailer. It's a high/low that fits between the toons. Very useful on tidal rivers. Mattaponi river Virginia. I guess the old engine didn't get up enough speed to splash as much. New motor splashing increases with speed.

We can live with the splashing. Just keep gas tank on boat deck. I doubt if I can upload a shirt video but I will try.

Put video on youtube if you have a Google account and then post the link here.