2000 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25. My first toon. Storage bins stink!

learfxr

Recruit
I have a Bass Tracker 175 fishing boat and wanted a big boat for taking family and friends to the lake to play. I ended up trading a Jeep for a 2000 Party Barge this week. I've never driven a pontoon before so it's an adventure. I spent all week doing some servicing and cleaning. I have a lot to learn on this boat and several small projects to do on it.

The under seat storage tubs stink, is there a good cleaner for this? 409? Bleach? It made our beach towels stink after one day at the lake. My wife vacuumed them with a shop vac and then wiped them out with a rag wet with dish soap and water. It got out the dirt, but not the smell. It's funky

I ripped out what was left of the changing room area and turned it into a large open space for multiple ice chests and we can reach out the back to pull in the tube rope.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions over the next few weeks. I have some wiring to fix and a few other things, but it ran pretty decent on it's first trip to the lake and we had a fun time.

ahicks

Captain
Many boats have under seat storage that don't seal well at all (against the weather or wet bathing suits), and to make matters worse, they have poor, or no, ventilation. This, added with humid conditions found on a lake, is a perfect recipe for some "funky" smelling towels if they've been stored under the seats for several days.

You may find that bringing fresh towels along, and removing them for proper care/drying at the end of the day, may work out as a better plan. Life jackets and any ropes need to be looked after carefully as well. Cleaning up a mildewy/moldy mess no fun..... Mildew will destroy a life jacket in a couple of seasons.

learfxr

Recruit
The under seat tubs are plastic. The towels were loaded the morning of the lake trip and most were not used and this area did not get wet during the trip. The smell is from the previous owner. I'm just trying to get it clean. I don't see any mold on the plastic tubs

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bleach. I use to take a cooler with rotted bait, bleach it and then was fine for food duty

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Are the lids also plastic? If they are plywood, they can absorb and retain odors.