2008 Sun Tracker Party Barge 200 Series Fuel Tank Vent Location

Phil Fershin

Cadet
Can someone tell me where the fuel tank vent is on this year and model of pontoon boat? The fuel tank is mounted in the center transom pod, but I'm not sure if the fuel cap itself is vented or if there is a vent tube that I'm not seeing. Any help would be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Does the filler cap have a vent screw? How many hoses are on top of the tank?

It will have the filler hose and supply hose to the motor for sure. A vent hose, if you have one, will also be on top of the tank.

Phil Fershin

Cadet
No, there is not a vent screw on the filler cap. The filler cap may be vented, but not with a screw. Other then the wiring for the gauge the only other hose I can see is the grey supply line. If this is indeed a vented cap, how often or how likely are they to malfunction and not vent properly ?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is there a hose within a hose like some automotive applications, the center hose Is for fuel and outer allows air.

Phil Fershin

Cadet
No, not that I can see. The only hose is the fuel line with the primer bulb, that was why I was thinking that the cap it self was the vent. I tried attaching a picture but for some reason an error message came up telling me the jpeg was" invalid file data"

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2006 Sun Tracker and it has a vent in the cap. I bet someone replaced it with a non vented cap.

Phil Fershin

Cadet
I think it may still have the vented cap but I'm not sure because the only vented caps I am familiar with had the small screw-in bit in the center. If it is a vented cap,is there any way to tell if the vent is still operating properly?

Phil Fershin

Cadet
No Title

Here is a picture of the fuel tank if that helps. (I finally figured out why I couldn't upload pictures)

Attachments

• photo272449.JPG
    photo272449.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 6

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That is a vented cap. You loosen that center piece. It rises up a 1/8" or so.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Or the vent screw is already open. Try closing it, turn CCW.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yep vented cap.

Get you a chainsaw vent maybe and drill the cap and put it in?

Phil Fershin

Cadet
I've now narrowed it down to being a Kelch 2 1/4" sure grip vented cap model 135949. I'm not positive but relatively confident that it remains vented at all times and that the center button does not thread either in or out. Either that or its stuck in a position. I blew out anything that resembled a vent on the cap with compressed air and I did notice I could feel the air coming through to the top side of the cap. Still not sure that it will vent under normal operations so to be safe I will probably just replace the cap . Thank you for everyones help!

ahicks

Captain
Not all of the center buttons screw in and out. That's not to say the original did not. Our OP may be dealing with an incorrect replacement cap (no clue if that's the case or not). If you look into it, this Kelch cap is sold in MANY different similar looking configurations for use in MANY different applications.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not all of the center buttons screw in and out. That's not to say the original did not. Our OP may be dealing with an incorrect replacement cap (no clue if that's the case or not). If you look into it, this Kelch cap is sold in MANY different similar looking configurations for use in MANY different applications.
His cap looks identical to mine on my 2006 Tracker and mine screws in and out.

ahicks

Captain
He needs a vented cap Bruce. How it's vented is his call, no? Not everyone is going to consider a closed manually vented cap on a warm day part of a good plan? If you're going to leave a manual valve open full time, what's the point of a manual vent vs. one that's vented full time?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
He needs a vented cap Bruce. How it's vented is his call, no?
Yes...he needs a vented cap. It's his choice if he wants to get the type that comes with the boat or not. There is a TON of water that flows around that cap when the boat is running. Some vented caps would not be a good choice which is why I went with the OEM style for my spares.

BTW...I leave mine open all the time and close it in the winter when the boat is stored.