Aluminum Pontoon Tubes around Upstate NY (Lake Ontario) or Vermont (Lake Champlain)

newboat1925

Recruit
Looking for a shop that makes these aluminum tubes and the frame that goes on top for pontoons. Also looking for a place to buy the engine. Anyone knows who makes these, pricing, or any recommendations in Upstate NY or Vermont, preferably around the lakes so I can transport the pontoon out once I assemble it. Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Exactly what do you have in mind? Generally, it is more economical to purchase a used boat and redo as needed to make it to your specifications, if needed.

newboat1925

Recruit
Thanks for the warm welcome. Regarding buying used and redoing, my impression is that this would cost a lot more than building my own, not to mention I'd be limited to what's available on the market and whatever sizes and conditions are available at the time I'm looking, whereas if I start with the aluminum tubes, I could customize to my specs. I definitely don't have the budget to request that kind of service from a brand pontoon maker, and I don't need a fancy brand name pontoon anyway. So I'm really looking into sourcing the tubes from a local shop that knows how to manufacture these themselves. I found a couple of shops in Canada but it would involve an import into the US which I'm hoping to avoid if possible. Your thoughts?

ahicks

Captain
I'm thinking it's going to much more for new components, even with a used engine. Then,it's likely going to have questionable resale value when you get done (nothing for the bank to look up, no certifications).

Suggest you look for a solid set of 1990 or later bones needing a re-deck and carpet. Often those can be had for what the engine is worth and make for a very economical project. If you're thinking of a medium size engine (85-115hp), suggest you limit your search to boats with 24"+ pontoons.

People will be putting these away for the season soon. That's an excellent time to be on the market. Taking advantage of that can make the project even more economical...

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
With the cost of aluminum and labor these days I would be suprised if you can buy 2 toons with the structure welded to the top for less than $3500 to 5 grand esp up there. Then you still need all the square tube aluminum cross members. Those are several hundred each I would guess.

You can buy a trashed out toon for WAY less than that. Strip and toss all the stuff above the toons other than the rails and go to town building.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
You will be looking around $3000 each to have a shop fabricate A 25" dia. 24' long log. Crossmembers aftermarket will run you around $40 each. To save some cash, you can go to places that have factory seconds but you will have to travel or have it delivered. So figure another $400 for delivery to your location.

Used toon is the way to go. The parts you need are endless. Transom, deck trim, corner caps, fencing, helm, seating, fuel and steering system etc. It all adds up fast and a used toon has all this already that can be reused or sold. Piecing all this together would be nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You will be looking around $3000 each to have a shop fabricate A 25" dia. 24' long log. Crossmembers aftermarket will run you around $40 each. To save some cash, you can go to places that have factory seconds but you will have to travel or have it delivered. So figure another $400 for delivery to your location.

Used toon is the way to go. The parts you need are endless. Transom, deck trim, corner caps, fencing, helm, seating, fuel and steering system etc. It all adds up fast and a used toon has all this already that can be reused or sold. Piecing all this together would be nuts.

Said it better than I did!