Boat lift cradle for 'toon

NYBo

Admiral
I picked up a cantilever boat lift real cheap, intending to use it for my bowrider. However, I'd like to modify it so I can also park my pontoon boat on it. Would it be adequate support for the pontoons to use 2x lumber laid flat for them to rest on? I would use another 2x attached at right angles to the flat one to act as guides. I'm thinking 12' lumber; boat is 18'.

ahicks

Captain
We have our boat at our house, and use it as a patio of sorts a lot of the time. That in mind, I would be looking for a little additional support under a piece of 2x. Maybe something to give it a "T" shape?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The 2x will support the toons fine, as long as the 2x is supported in a similar manner as it is for the trailer. Say every 2 to 3 feet or so along its length

ahicks

Captain
You've hit on the issue. If this is the type lift I'm thinking of, there's a front and a rear cross member, about 8' apart. That's it.

NYBo

Admiral
You've hit on the issue. If this is the type lift I'm thinking of, there's a front and a rear cross member, about 8' apart. That's it.

Correct. That's one of the reasons I would make the supports L-shaped with a second 2x. I will probably go with a 2x10 or 2x12 for the bottoms and 2x6 or 2x8 for the guides, glued and screwed the entire length.

ahicks

Captain
OK, better idea of what you are thinking now. You had better check to see if you can keep the keel on the flat section of your support with the height of the guide. Thinking the guide may hit the 'toon and prevent the keel from contacting the support?

NYBo

Admiral
OK, better idea of what you are thinking now. You had better check to see if you can keep the keel on the flat section of your support with the height of the guide. Thinking the guide may hit the 'toon and prevent the keel from contacting the support?

Yeah, I'm going to make sure the guides just guide and not support.