Vinyl wrapping railings on a pontoon

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Thingiking about wrapping the square aluminum tubes with cast carbon fiber type vinyl.Has anyone tried this?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds interesting. A lot of people do up their car/truck dashboards and door trims with vinyl. I don't know much about it, but I would try and find out how that stuff holds up in the weather.

ahicks

Captain
Is there a function, other than pure aesthetics, that you're considering this? Carbon fiber appearance sounds like something that might get pretty warm to me.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On my old boat there are lots of rounded bends in the aluminum tubing. That would make the job a PITA for me. If you have mostly straight runs where its easy to access all the sides you want to wrap, I say go for it. The worst that could happen is one tube gets scratched from things rubbing on it and you feel the need to peel all of it off to keep it from looking strange. ... But I do suspect the wrap will have a lifetime measured in a few years.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the replies. The look would be for aesthetics only. I'm trying to bring an early 90' pontoon into the current decade.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the exact quality of the material you buy it can last a long time. You can also buy it online for a pretty reasonable price, so just buy a small amount and see what it looks like installed.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No, why would you, that would be a huge expense and time and be lucky if it lasted 5 years and looked good unless it was in a shed all the time.

I have a 90s pontoon and it looks very similar in the railings to the current decade. Maybe just a color of paint on the aluminum fence panels.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
No Title

Notice the color of the rails. Thats what I'm going for.

Attachments

• photo272421.JPG
    photo272421.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 0