Anchor Size⁄Type

26stixx

Cadet
I recently purchased a Suntanner 20 Pontoon with a 90HP Yamaha. Approx 1997

?What do I use to anchor the boat in muddy/weedy water. It's normally on Lake Scugog in Ontario Canada.

I want to make sure we can get off and swim, or fish without the boat floating away.

Thanks

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 24 ft pontoon and for just swimming off it I use a 30lb river anchor. It holds well in the muddy bottoms ww have here on our lakes. I dont use much scope---usually no more than 2-3 times the water depth. For a 20 foot boat, a 20lb would be fine unless there's a lot of wind to deal with.

I wouldnt use it if I weren't near the boat but for a "lunch hook" (temporary anchoring when I'm on or near the boat) it works well for me.

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Black...-view_id.56099

Cougarrx

Recruit
I just got back from a 2 day campout with my new box anchor. Had not had a chance to use it until then. They are expensive in comparison to other anchors I think but I was very impressed. I only used it in on a sandy bottom but it did not move at all. I have a 24 foot tritoon and with the top up, it will catch any breeze at all. I was really happy with it. Got it here at iboats so do a search.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you all will laugh but i use a 16 pound sledge hammer head, works great in mud bottoms and it and the rope stores in a 3 gal bucket

Sisa

Recruit
Just make sure your anchor is the right weight. According to this article if your Suntanner is 20ft or less the anchor should be around 15lbs. If over 20ft aim for an anchor more than 20lbs. They also mention to go up in weight if your expecting rougher conditions, so I would aim for 20lbs plus just to be safe. We got the 25lb Slide Anchor box anchor which is super easy to use. It works great and has held pretty well even in some high winds.

Hope this helps!