dual portable gas tanks

jhohman35

Cadet
Hey everyone I have tried to do some research on hooking up dual gas tanks online and really haven't found my situation. I bought a 24' 90' suncruiser toon that needed to be re-done. It has a little 40hp and came with a 6 gal portable tank that fits inside the corner of the sundeck compartment. I have been using a portable 2 1/2 gal tank to use a a reserve when out on the water. I am always going to Torch Lake, MI which is a good size lake and has a few lakes that connect. That being said I would like to be able to do some river cruising without worrying about if I will have enough fuel to make it. I was given one of those gas caddys that is a 14 gallon tank on wheels "flow n go" type. It did not come with hose and pump and instead of buying one I would like to just hook it up to the motor so I had dual tanks. Since it stands up I would not be able to fit it in the same compartment of the 6 gallon so it would be on the other side of the boat. I would use the 14 gallon as my main and use the 6 as a reserve. I have seen many post about a "Y" or "T" valve, some even using a 12 volt with a toggle switch at the helm. I am looking for some ideas on how to hook this up or what has worked for others. Might be a dumb question but can I even use the caddy as the main tank? I have attached some photos. The 6 gal tank sits in the back port side corner. I decided I would like the open storage on the starboard side so I left the sundeck off. I would place the the caddy on that side (starboard). I appreciate the help and ideas!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i use twin 6 gal tanks and when one runs dry i switch the connectors, its that simple

ahicks

Captain
I have no experience with using the tall tank at all. Valves to switch between tanks aren't too hard to find. If you can't find them in the normal marine suppliers, try something for a pickup truck.

I had a hot rod boat with dual tanks that we used to use for cruising on occasion - have done the Burt, Mullet and Black Lakes chain several times. Anyway, we used to run the first tank down to half, then switch to the full tank, knowing we could run that out completely and still have 1/2 tank reserve to find more gas or get us home.

If I were to do some serious cruising just occasionally with a boat like yours (40 hp), I'd run 6 gallon tanks (as many as you can justify), without trying to do a permanent hook up. Just switch the fuel line to the tank I wanted to use. That's me though.....

jhohman35

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply's! I suppose I could just move the 6 gallon tank to the starboard side and use that compartment for anchors and other items. Then the tanks are side by side and I could just switch out the tanks. I would like to use the caddy as a tank since I got it free. I guess I could sell it and buy another tank but it would be nice if I could use what I have. Im thinking a manual Y valve is going to be the solution or just buying the hose and pump and refilling the 6 gallon tank.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your situation is just like getting a free boat which ends up being more expensive than buying a decent boat right off the bat. Getting something free often isn't cheap with the stuff you need to buy to make it work.

I do have a suggestion. The caddy is only a portable tank on wheels and it will work when flat on the deck. It does not need to sit upright. Will it fit anywhere laying flat?

jhohman35

Cadet
The only area that it would lay flat would be the open starboard side where I pointed to in the pictures. I think I would just stand it up and use a strap to secure it to the railing. I might be able to make some cuts under the seats so that it would lay flat there. What were you thinking if I laid it flat?

NYBo

Admiral
What will you use as a pickup and connection to the fuel line?

Jury-rigging fuel tanks is a bad idea, IMO. This setup may also be of questionable legality.

jhohman35

Cadet
I just spent the $45 on the hand pump and hose for the caddy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ISX5FE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_NQuuzb1QQGNRC. I looked into the the manual Y valves that I could split the fuel line with to switch between tanks and by the time I was all said and done it was going to be the same price. So I will just fill both tanks up and when the 6 gallon is empty, I have a pump to fill it back up. Not really what I wanted but it will work. I'm not sure if there would be any legality behind it, but its a good thought! I won't have to worry now since it will be used exactly as manufactured. Thanks again for the ideas and advice. Have fun boating!