Going from single battery to dual battery

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
I'm wanting to convert my single battery to a dual battery system but I've never done this with an outboard motor. Just making sure there isnt any charging issues from an outboard which I should be aware of. And for those who've done this, what did you use for your setup? Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
What kind of change are you wanting to do? Is it for an additional starting battery, or is it used for a trolling motor or other device?

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Just a second battery to add more overall reserve capacity for playing the radio longer while out on the water and similar activities which would take 12 volts anytime the engine isn't running. No trolling motor.....

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just connect positive to positive and negative to negative on the two batteries using heavy cable like that going to the engine. You will still have a 12 volt system that charges automatically when the engine is running. It will be like you've just got one larger capacity battery.

alldodge

Staff member
Simple way is just connect two batteries in parallel and go boating. An OB doesn't have much of an alternator, so it won't charge the battery up on the way back. Probably the easy way with safety is a battery switch so you can disconnect the battery. Another is to install an ACR between the two batteries, so if the start battery is fully changed it will start charging the other.

If you separate the stereo and other devices and use an ACR and switch you would be good

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. I'll install a Blue Sea switch too so maybe that will solve any charging issues I may run into.....

icwingman

Seaman
I'm wanting to convert my single battery to a dual battery system but I've never done this with an outboard motor. Just making sure there isnt any charging issues from an outboard which I should be aware of. And for those who've done this, what did you use for your setup? Thanks.

You need a switch that has a 1/2/all/off selector.connect hot lead battery 1 to one on switch. Take other batt hot lead to 2 on switch. Put all 3 blacks on common switch lug. This will let u use bat 1, switch to 2 when needed and all both bats when really needed. Get 2 small chargers and attach to each bat to keep them topped off

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need a switch that has a 1/2/all/off selector.connect hot lead battery 1 to one on switch. Take other batt hot lead to 2 on switch. Put all 3 blacks on common switch lug. This will let u use bat 1, switch to 2 when needed and all both bats when really needed. Get 2 small chargers and attach to each bat to keep them topped off

Putting the black negative battery leads on the COM terminal of the switch creates a dead short the second the switch is turned on. The COM terminal feeds the circuits. Negative battery leads all go to engine block.