Center Tube not integraed with transom

dave4500

Recruit
New here and new to pontoons. Looking at used pontoon (South Bay 2014 FCR 150HP) The ad states 3rd tube is not integrated with transom. What does this mean and could this be an issue?
Thanks for your input.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This pontoon log (tube) has the transom built in (integrated with the log).
1065904-custom-23-foot-x-27-inch-marine-pontoon-boat-center-log-float-tube-w-transom-engine-pod-and-2.jpeg

On the boat you are considering, the center log is shorter than the outer logs. A separate engine pod with transom sits behind the center log. I would not consider this as a concern.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
is it a factory install or did someone just add a short center log in front of the transom pod? I have seen quite a few unhappy folks that have tried this themselves and found out how bad the performance can really be. Logs in front of the pod, not installed by the manufacture can cause prop cavitation and greatly hurt performance. If it's a south bay install, you can most likely trust it. You will always get performance out of a center log with a transom built into the log. Just some food for thought.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Silveraire makes a good point. So drive it before you buy.

ahicks

Captain
It would be a simpler call for me. If the transom isn't part of the 3rd tube, I'd keep looking....

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
It would be a simpler call for me. If the transom isn't part of the 3rd tube, I'd keep looking....

I'm with ya, but not everybody is looking for the same things as me. Is he looking for top speed or is he looking for a boat that has the stability and capacity of a tri with a little boost in performance? This boat could do that and more. With a 150 it will be no rocket in the first place.

dave4500

Recruit
Thanks for all the input. We live by a really large lake so mostly looking for stability. I will have to check to see if this was factory installed.