1989 Starcraft Bass Buggy Restoration

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I thought that I would document my pontoon boat restoration as it happens to give you guys a look into one man's journey (maiden voyage even) into restoring this boat.

A little nautical background about me:

My dad had always had pontoon boats and I grew up helping him rewire them, rebuild power-heads, change out water pumps and impellers, and even install an under-deck ladder; however, I have never taken on a project of this scope.

I bought a 1989 Starcraft Bass Buggy off of Facebook Marketplace locally (well semi-locally) for $700. It is 20 ft. and it didn't come with a trailer.

I rented a trailer and had a friend help me to get it from the seller's house to mine and the fun begins

When I looked at the boat I noticed that the deck was in very poor condition as was the upholstery. My plan is to strip it down and start from the pontoons/frame up.

Once I got it home and got some free time I liberated the rails and fencing off of the pontoon boat as well as almost all of the furniture (except for the console and the front seat as there is a live well in there and I ran out of time). The furniture stands were so rotted that I didn't need to unbolt them. I simply lifted them up and they came right out without any resistance (I made sure to measure and draw a diagram so I will know where everything goes back in), The flat headed carriage type bolts were not too bad to get out considering that they were 28 years old, but a few were stubborn and had to be coaxed out of there There were a total of 32 of these bolts (with 7/16" nuts on the underside) that had to be taken off along with 4 hex head 7/16 bolts that bolted into the deck on railing braces.. The railing splits in half right in front of the motor so I was able to manipulate the rails off of the deck with the help of my step dad. The frame for the canvas top also had to be taken off as well as to disconnect the wire going to the canvas top light. I also took off 3 out of 4 of the aluminum runners (for lack of a better name) that sit on the perimeter of the decking (the 4th one will have to wait until tomorrow since I forgot my drill bits and there are 4 rivets holding it on).

The attached pictures are what it looked like when I bought it compared to what it looks like today. I am hoping to get it stripped the rest of the way down tomorrow (it is supposed to thunderstorm tonight, but I am hoping that it will be okay by the morning.) I am going to be adding to this thread as I do the work so that everyone can see the progress I am making and the transformation (attempt :) ) of this oldie-but-goodie into a fun toy for my family.

Attachments

• photo267850.jpg
    photo267850.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo267851.jpg
    photo267851.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo267863.jpg
    photo267863.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo267865.jpg
    photo267865.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268002.jpg
    photo268002.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268003.jpg
    photo268003.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo268004.jpg
    photo268004.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The toons themselves look in good shape. Redeck it, cover it marine vinyl, put the rails back on it, and you will have a blank slate to lay out anyway you like. BTW, it's a Suntracker not a Starcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
a close friend bought one brand new, and we fished it hard for several years

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The toons themselves look in good shape. Redeck it, cover it marine vinyl, put the rails back on it, and you will have a blank slate to lay out anyway you like. BTW, it's a Suntracker not a Starcraft.

Oops..right you are

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went out today and removed the live well (the base was completely rotted). I opened the console and took many picture of the wiring and cables before disconnecting them but got stuck today taking the steering out from the boat motor. Looks like I may have to lift the motor off to get the long shaft out so I can remove the console. At least I got some progress done. Also, I was able to get the aluminum bow piece off that covers the plywood edge (attached in center by four rivets). I'm getting there. Hopefully, tomorrow the console will be liberated and I can start pulling the old deck off.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Hi,

Today, I was able to unhook the steering from the motor (I had to temporary take the motor off to get the shaft out) and that allowed me to move forward with this project. I made sure to cut off all the quick-ties that were holding the wires/cables together which not only freed the console but it will allow me to rewire it a little bit easier since I can trace each individual wire. After that, I removed the console and set it aside (not pictured) until I am ready to rebuild it. Then, it was time to take the decking and carpet off. The carpet just peeled right up and the wood lifted off quite easily as it was very rotted. So, all I am left with now is removing the screws that mounted the wood to the frame (I soaked them in penetrating oil and am going to leave them be for a couple of days). After that, there are 3 frame ribs that have some sort of adhesive on it that I will have to scrape off with a putty knife to clean those rails off. All in all, I think I am making some satisfactory progress. Here are pics of today’s work. Enjoy, and thanks for looking. I won’t be able to work on the boat until Wed. (work/weather permitting), but I am hoping to have an update that the rails are ready to accept the new deck!

Attachments

• photo268125.jpg
    photo268125.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268126.jpg
    photo268126.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268127.jpg
    photo268127.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268128.jpg
    photo268128.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo268129.jpg
    photo268129.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo268130.jpg
    photo268130.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
being as its not on a trailer, a suggestion if you dont mind, is to level the pontoons before you start laying the wood down, from front to back and side to side will help a lot and you should check it for being in square it makes a ton easer

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great suggestion. I was planning on putting it on PVC rollers before I start re-decking and, yes, I agree that making sure it is level and square will cut out a lot of the headaches... Thanks for the reminder!! :)

ahicks

Captain
The cross members with the heavy gook on them? That's where 2 sheets of plywood met, and that gook was used to seal that seam to assure water doesn't come up when splashed. Point being, you don't need to make those cross members spotless when cleaning them. You'll likely be doing something there yourself.

Agree, boat should be sitting square when fastening the new wood. The potential to get something off kilter, causing the boat to be tweaked while sitting in the water is pretty good otherwise.

I'd grab those screws with a good pair of vice grips right at the base, and unscrew them. If they break off (no surprise) they'll do so flush and you won't have to mess with them further.

Project looking pretty good!

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No time like the present to address the "transom" double check it, if you see any sign of wear, go ahead and replace it now, will not ever be any easier to remove the motor and replace. If you can do it within your budget, consider an all aluminum replacement instead of going back with wood.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No time like the present to address the "transom" double check it, if you see any sign of wear, go ahead and replace it now, will not ever be any easier to remove the motor and replace. If you can do it within your budget, consider an all aluminum replacement instead of going back with wood.

Yep, the wood on the rear of the transom (where the motor mounts to) is pretty rotted, but still intact enough to use as a template. :)

ahicks

Captain
That's exactly how I did it, using the cut out for the engine area in that last/rear sheet of ply

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you know its a odd thing, i bought my present boat 7 years ago with the intentions of doing a full rebuild and over 2 winters i did that but it never really has stopped :bounce:, i just added some led light strips on the inside of the fence so i can see what i stumbled over better :shocked:

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you know its a odd thing, i bought my present boat 7 years ago with the intentions of doing a full rebuild and over 2 winters i did that but it never really has stopped :bounce:, i just added some led light strips on the inside of the fence so i can see what i stumbled over better :shocked:

I know what you mean. My dad, before he passed last year, always had me adding this and that to his pontoon boat. It seemed as if it was "never done" and there were more lights, accessories, and do-dads that kept the project alive.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick heads up that I have not been able to work on the 'toon as it has been raining here pretty steadily, but the rain is supposed to stop later on today which gives me the weekend to work on it. I will post updates as I get her done! :)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just a few questions.

How come you decided against or have you choosen yet the $85 a sheet mariNE plywood linked to on your other thread.

Where are you located.

And what happened to your dad's boat after he passed..did you get it, a brother, sell it, or you have it but want to do your on resto?

No reason I am asking other than pure curiosity?