Newbie Redecking question (Plywood and sealant)

Chaser 32

Seaman Apprentice
It all comes down to you doing your homework. There are a million opinions out there, but the only ones that matter are the ones gained through personal experience.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
CCA costs $100 a sheet now. It will not corrode AL that's the ACQ version that has that problem.

By the time you buy CDX sheeting and pour all that resin all over it you will almost be at the cost of treated marine ply. Resin is like $80/gallon I think and I bet it would take half a gallon per sheet or more easy! Plus the time.

I like to save too but do it right once. Enjoy it for 20 more years.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
discount code is forum10 for 10% discount. $85.50/sheet with free shipping...not bad.

Id do that before paying $60 a sheet and buying $100 worth of sealers and painting those on it for a few weeks and drying them out. Get marine ply throw it on and go!

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice
Here is something for thought as well. I redone the deck on my old pontoon with Advantech 3/4" ply. It worked great. I did a complete rebuild on the pontoon in 2010. When I sold the boat last year, the floor was still rock solid. I didn't have to do any sealing and coating or anything. I still see the boat out on the lake all the time, the new owners use it weekly and the floor is still solid.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I Google 3/4 Avantech. It's that tounge n Grove stuff they use in houses, it's OSB!!!!!!!! That stuff will blow up and just fall apart in no time. Sure they may get a few years out of it, but that is a lot of effort to go through just for the floor to be trashed in a few years. I bet less that 2 if left out in open. But sure if they store under cover and dry it between it might last longer. But we're talking the difference of a few hundred dollars between the wring product and the right 3/4" CCA marine ply. Why waste your time for that small amount of money.

bigdee

Commander
Make life simple. Buy a good grade exterior plywood or marine grade if you can afford it. DO NOT SEAL IT with anything!!!! Sealing it will trap moisture and cause it to rot much sooner. Let it breathe and good old sunshine will dry it out repeatably. My 1989 toon is still on its original untreated/unsealed deck and it sits in open dock all summer. It is getting a little spongy in places so I will be re-decking soon.