How to trailer a pontoon boat on/off (On dry land) 4 days to figure it out

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

So, I am buying a 20' pontoon boat today and I am supposed to pick it up this weekend. There is a guy in my town that rents his pontoon trailer for $40/hr and it looks as if I will need it to get my boat to my house for repairs. The boat is on dry land (in his lawn).. The boat is going on dry land (my lawn) until I can procure/DIY a trailer. I am trying to find the cheapest and most effective means of putting the boat on the trailer and taking it off of the trailer. In the past, I have used pieces of 3" PVC pipe under the pontoons of my dad's boat when taking it out/putting it in the water. Although this may work for scooting it around, how do I actually get it on the trailer without messing up 1) the boat 2) the trailer and 3) owing the guy a bunch of money for scraping/messing up his trailer? I have 4 days to figure this out. I will have 3 friends with me (though I doubt we can pick the boat up and place it on the trailer. I have a couple of vehicle tire dollies that I was thinking about maybe putting on the back of each pontoon, lift the front of it on the trailer (hooking it up to the crank) and after wetting the skids slowly cranking (and pushing by hand) the boat up. Any advice would be great. I am not looking to make saw horses or anything like that (yet). I am just looking at a way to get the boat from the ground on the trailer and back off again. If anyone has done this with the very minimal of tools please share your experience. Also, a diagram or a video (how to) would be great, too. Thanks and enjoy the boating season.

ahicks

Captain
There are 2 types of pontoon trailers. The first is a bunk type - which sounds like what you are thinking of. It supports the boat from the bottom of the 'toons. The second type, is a cantilever type, and it supports the boat from the deck, between the pontoons. The second type goes up and down, is set up to lift a 'toon right off the ground. THAT'S what you're looking for. Slide it in between the 'toons, crank it up, and you're on the way. A lot of rental companies use these because it is so easy to load/unload.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the input. According to the boat's info it weighs 1100lbs without the motor. The only trailer option that I have is the one that the guy has (he said it is a "crank up type trailer"). Is that what I need?

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you can, go look at it, but it sounds like the type you need. It will be very narrow to fit between the logs. They are notorious for being a bit awkward to haul with, watch out for tight turns. They can be top heavy. ALSO, get some wooden blocks to lift the logs off the ground. This will make life much easier when you lift it onto another trailer. Use carpeting or foam to protect them. DO NOT USE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD IN CONTACT WITH THE ALUMINUM

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need a scissor trailer. scissor trailers literally print money

Newmans-pontoon-trailer20.jpg

my buddy makes about $500 in the spring putting in 'toons and another $500 in the fall pulling them out. scissor trailers are what is used to drop 'toons on a bit of cribbing at marinas, lake cottages, etc.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good to know, guys. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I always put my dad's 'toons on 4" pvc sideways (like rollers) when I winterized his to keep it off of the ground. I think this trailer is what I need so I am going to go for it. I ran by the 'toon owner's house and bought the boat and am going to rent the trailer tonight. Not a bad deal for an 1987 Bass Buggy (I paid $700 for her) Now, to try to get her home after work :)

Last edited:

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick update - I got the boat home okay. Wow, that crank up trailer made it SUPER easy. Luckily, I had a friend with me that drives truck for a living and it made transporting it a breeze. It is now in my yard and waiting for payday so that I can start ripping the old, and quite rotted, deck off of it. I will be starting a new thread showing the restoration process. I REALLY need to get one of those trailers. A couple of things that amazed me were 1) how easy it was to crank and 2) how narrow the axles were. Thanks everyone!

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As far as regular use, I would probably get a regular drive on trailer. The wider wheel base makes them much more stable. It is also much easier to load a toon in the water onto. However, like Scott Danforth said, you can make a lot of money with one if you live near a lake with lots of toons.

ahicks

Captain
Regarding trailering, would agree that if you need to trailer to/from water every time you use the boat, the bunk type is the better plan - as long as the ramps you frequent are deep enough. The boat is carried MUCH higher on a bunk type.

The crank up style trailer is not hard to load or unload, on land or in the water (not sure where you got that?), and they're also much easier from a service perspective. If you want to service the trailer, or anything under the boat, just drop the boat and pull the trailer out. It doesn't get any easier. Try that with a bunk type trailer....

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
May have been the operator, but I have a vivid memory of someone having to back down the ramp several times before getting the toon straight on a scissor trailer one time. He refused any advise or offers of help.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
May have been the operator, but I have a vivid memory of someone having to back down the ramp several times before getting the toon straight on a scissor trailer one time. He refused any advise or offers of help.

My friend that hauled mine for me didn't seem to have much of an issue with that (thankfully)