Trolling motor on side of pontoon

E_bell

Cadet
I'm looking for a location to mount my trolling motor on 1998 sylvan pontoon and was thinking about putting it in the front left corner and hanging it over the left side. That way when I'm not using it I can lay it back on the front deck out of sight. I originally was going to mount it in the center but then I cant lay it back and it looks horrible upright.

So, if I run it on the left side of the boat will it give me major steering problems? I'm a newbie to boating and appreciate any help/advice.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It will work, but there will most likely be a big difference in how it turns one direction compared to the other, tracking straight will be off a bit too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would put it dead center if you want equal turning capabilities. Any time you mount things like that way off center, you are going to fight the way it pulls to one side better then the other. It is merely physics. JMHO

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the propeller is below the bottom of the log, then it might be steerable. The bigger drawback is that in pulling the boat assymetrically, some of the limited thrust will be expended pulling the logs sideways rather than forward or back. ... If the propeller is not lower than the bottom of the log, then I suspect you will have limited steering when the propeller is pushing water into the nearby log. ... This is all speculation.

E_bell

Cadet
I agree, I'll have to find a way to make the center work. It just awful when upright and out of the water when in the center and if you lay it back thru the center gate then you are constantly walking around it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree, I'll have to find a way to make the center work. It just awful when upright and out of the water when in the center and if you lay it back thru the center gate then you are constantly walking around it.

Why not some type quick disconnect type mount. Then when you don't need it, remove it. Easy Peasy.

E_bell

Cadet
Why not some type quick disconnect type mount. Then when you don't need it, remove it. Easy Peasy.

The mount is a quick disconnect and I guess I could always just strap it to the front deck and then only use when I need it!! Great Idea!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The mount is a quick disconnect and I guess I could always just strap it to the front deck and then only use when I need it!! Great Idea!!!

Just to be safe, you should attach some type strap to the trolling motor so it doesn't accidentally drop off into the deep when setting it up on the water. It wouldn't be the first trolling motor living on the bottom of the water. :eek: JMHO

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well if you are up tp it, you can put it in the middle, as long as there is enough freeboard, you can build a recessed pocket for it to be in, when not using it. a nice looking cover would conceal it nicely.

mgjtkt

Seaman
You should pattent that idea! You call it a fishing pontoon and the TM doesn't store flush with the deck?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I'm currently rebuilding my toon, and your post gave me ideas. I have to get the un-used trolling motor from the cabin and see if it will work in a pocket.