Bed-liner on pontoons...?

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone ever sprayed, or rolled on, bed-liner on their tubes? I've seen people paint pontoons but I haven't seen anything about bedliner. I would think bed-liner would be far more durable than paint and even offer some denting resistance and scrapping resistance over that of paint.
Now just to be clear, I'm not wanting to do the entire tube but merely the sides exposed while on the trailer. Parts that are subject to docks and mooring..... Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the DIY bedliner stuff is crap.

however the Line-X and Rhino cross-linked poly-urea stuff would be fine.

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Oh absolutely would NOT try the do it yourself stuff..... If I do, it would be professional, like Line-X or Rhino or Armacoating.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
They wont glide onto the trailer well and will increase reaistance and slow the boat even more in the water similar to a dirty hull in salt water as it wont be smooth

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. But I was only thinking of the top of the pontoons down to the bunk area. So roughly a 20 inch tall x 20 feet long area on the outside of the tubes.
But.....all that said, I did some checking and spray on bed-liner shops suggested not trying it as the leading sharp edge would most likely loosen due to moisture and possibly lift over time. That would not be good.....
So I'm looking diligently for some other type of marine paint which is intended for covering bare aluminum. Any suggestions?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cover bare aluminum, why? Pretty much anything you put on is at risk of peeling, and dock rash...

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Because I have to do some repair work on one pontoon and I'm attempting to make them look nice. The paint or epoxy or whatever I use is intended to cover the patch area.
Yes, most products I apply will have a chance to come off at some point in time. But.....I'm of the mind to overlook the potential maintenance I may have by touching them up from time to time. From what I've seen, painting pontoons is not uncommon.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have never seen the actual pontoons painted except on here on a very rough like 35 year old or more pontoon, possibly to cover up staining they couldn't figure out how to clean up 25 years ago?

I have been out on 2 big lakes a good bit on and off for 15 years and can't recall painted toons

I did see this with a Google search: https://youtu.be/NFM0jGQWdwk

Not exactly what you were talking about, but that's the whole toon (minus the decking area).

I have never seen the actual pontoons painted except on here on a very rough like 35 year old or more pontoon, possibly to cover up staining they couldn't figure out how to clean up 25 years ago?

I have been out on 2 big lakes a good bit on and off for 15 years and can't recall painted toons

Like the newer Regency's? I believe they're all painted. I've read they scratch like CRAZY, though.

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
I decided not to try bed-liner as the companies told me that its likely the leading edge will lift over time due to water submersion. I'm going to see what submersible paints are available before I do anything. The bed-liner idea was for something durable that wont scratch, so I'll be looking for a very thick epoxy type coating.