Motor weight on transom

ahicks

Captain
Tri-toon I'm thinking of would have a transom on it and be at least twice that long, if not 3 or 4 times.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The only prudent answer to your question is NO.

Many reasons have been listed as to why.

There is at least one more. Depending on where you live and boat, it may be illegal.
More states are making the overpowering of boats illegal almost every year.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, the extra weight is significant. So is the 33% greater torque ripping the transom pod off the 'toon

fetch

Motors falling off 'toons properly powered happens. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...s/597495-transom-broke-off-suntracker-pontoon

weezzell_5400

Seaman
No Title

My state ..bining upstate south carolina has no laws about over powering boats ...lakes I run in are lake hartwell...lake keowee...and lake jocassee....now that I have been doing more reading and looking at more newer boats at the dealers ...I will be adding a 3rd full log at 25inch diameter with custom transom welded on the back of it ....in addition gusset will be added to all logs to the floor joist for added for more strength ....should be able to add the 120 hp evinrude after all the upgrades ....best thing is my friend will be doing all the welding and already has a log on hand .... if there is a will there is a way

Attachments

• photo267600.png
    photo267600.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
That's the right way to go about it. When it's time to redo the floor on my toon, we plan on converting it to a tritoon with integrated transom, underskinning, and lifting strakes. I want to be able to run big O/B power and take advantage of it.-

NYBo

Admiral
Horse(power) of a different color with the extra structure!