DIY Mounting a grill to a pontoon - Need some help and ideas

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a new to me pontoon - and decided it would be good to add a grill to it. I have bought the grill I want to use (Coleman portable sport roadtrip) and I am looking for a way to mount it to my pontoon. I would like to find a way to do it on the rail, but I am not totally against a pedestal mount. All of the brackets and mounts I see are expensive, and I am not even sure they would work with the grill I got. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
You could try something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Arnalls-Pontoon-Grill-Bracket-Set/dp/B006707CP8

If you look at that page, they actually show a few different Coleman grills mounted a few different ways. Could give you some ideas on what you want to try.

You may need to modify the grill a little (perhaps drill a few holes in the under side) but once you had the brackets connected to the grill per your liking, the mounts easily go on and off the pontoon rails. Just a thought.

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
On our last toon I just layed down a piece or cardboard or some paper plates on the table and put the grill on top of that to use.

On our new toon I plan to fab up a bracket deal to hang it over the water much like the ones you see advertised. But I plan to make it just clip on so it is easily removable after grilling and stored away. My idea is much like the old 1960's window tray clips like at a drive in for cars. I plan to have an undertray that slopes away from the toon as well to direct any burger grease away from the side of the toon.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like those mounts in the link you posted, I am just worried they may not work. They don't look very sturdy. I don't mind drilling holes to mount them - but the reviews seem a little mixed. I was hoping for an alternative before I ordered those to try them, but I cannot find anything else really.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I made mine. Welded up some brackets for the pontoon rail and a bracket that screws to the bottom of the grill. Made mine so it sits over the water and can be reversed so it can be used at the dock.

IMG_20140222_143343.jpg

IMG_20140222_143335.jpg

IMG_20140222_143306.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
As you can see, mine are flush with the top of the rail so that it does not affect the cover which was very important to me.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have no way of welding, so that limits me a good bit on a DIY project. Wish I had a way to do something like that. I am forced to find something that will work and buy it I think.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are concerned about the strength of the commercially sold fence mounted bracket, perhaps you could add a third leg that runs from the bottom back of the grill to the deck outside of the fence. A simple piece of aluminum tube with easy on/off hardware at each end would add a lot of strength and rigidity. Conceptually its like the support brace on this:
855fba47-0525-4d52-8e68-b5132d98e6c6_1000.jpg

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just ordered the Arnall's brackets. It says they can safely hold up to 35 lbs. I don't think my grill weighs that much. I will test them out when they arrive and see how well they are. It may work - and I hope it works. If not, then I will move on to plan B

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the brackets I ordered. I installed them and set it up on the boat. Works nice actually. I didn't take into account the bottom curve of the grill itself but it still fit, It was just a little snug. I think I can buy some longer bolts to fix that though. Overall I have to say they are good for the price. I would buy them again. Happy I went this way instead of pedestal mount. It will save me some space.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat cover is just a simple 25 x 20 tarp. Works for me. Not sure how it would fit with other covers though. And since its easily removable, I will probably store it in the garage until we are going out to use it.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Glad they worked for you! Cheers and happy boating.