Front Mount Trolling Motor - Seeking a Trickle Charge Solar Option?

pixolia

Cadet
Hi there, okay, well if solar isn't a "good" option at this point, then what would you suggest for good batteries for my troller? I only need a few hours of runtime from my 24-volt setup and again would really use this in rare occurrences or emergency ones, are there any decent batteries that are closer to 25lbs each to where it would soften the blow on lifting them in and out as I need to take them home to charge? I guess, if I could cut the weight down from 50 to 25lbs that'd be ideal and maybe I"d just settle for that.

I have a back problem and lifting 50lbs up a hill across a busy street times 2 is just something I'd rather avoid. Not saying I'm going to fall apart but at this point, it seems as if my best bet would be to find some good batteries?

Do they make any 12 volt batteries that could run my 68lb pontoon troller (24-volt) that I could just run in series together but weigh 25lbs or close to it (each) or am I SOL in terms of 50lbs+ each and that's it? Anything cost effective you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Mike

ahicks

Captain
Mike, regarding the transportation of batteries, why not rig up some type of dolly, cart or wagon for that purpose? A lazy man can find an easy way to do anything.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You keep looking for magic to happen with electricity. Smaller batteries don't solve your "emergency" get home situation. Small batteries are like small buckets of water. For a 68# motor pushing a larger vessel over a fairly long distance, small batteries won't cut it. Buy the size you need (group 27 or 29, or 31) and buy or build a small hand cart to move them. Folding aluminum hand carts are available at Harbor Freight and other outlets. Using a small battery for rough service means you shorten their life dramatically.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi there, okay, well if solar isn't a "good" option at this point, then what would you suggest for good batteries for my troller? I only need a few hours of runtime from my 24-volt setup and again would really use this in rare occurrences or emergency ones, are there any decent batteries that are closer to 25lbs each to where it would soften the blow on lifting them in and out as I need to take them home to charge? I guess, if I could cut the weight down from 50 to 25lbs that'd be ideal and maybe I"d just settle for that.

I have a back problem and lifting 50lbs up a hill across a busy street times 2 is just something I'd rather avoid. Not saying I'm going to fall apart but at this point, it seems as if my best bet would be to find some good batteries?

Do they make any 12 volt batteries that could run my 68lb pontoon troller (24-volt) that I could just run in series together but weigh 25lbs or close to it (each) or am I SOL in terms of 50lbs+ each and that's it? Anything cost effective you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Mike

A 25 pound battery is pretty small and weak. That's about lawnmower sized. I agree with the below statements that they won't last long. You do not want to discharge a battery below 50% or you start drastically shortening the life. You want to keep them as close to full charge for long life and you need to charge them up every month getting them ip to a finish voltage of just over 15v so that they get topped off.

I would agree with the hand truck option.

pixolia

Cadet
Hey all, thanks for the information and comments. I'm definitely not just looking for the easy way out, just trying to find ways to make life easier if I can, that's all. The biggest problem with the hand truck is that my boat is about 50-60 yards away from the parking lot where my car is. Between the parking lot and the grass is a busy road and then between the boat and the grass is a very steep 45-55 degree hill to where I'd probably kill myself trying to ease a hand cart down it or have issues getting it up it. Any normal pitch or simple grade then I would definitely agree to that as a solution. At this point, it just seems as if I really have no other options than to just get some beefy 50lb batteries and somehow try to not kill my back in the process. Sounds like a market where someone could dominate if they could come up with a reasonable solution. Thanks for all the insight though! I figured it doesn't hurt to get some outside opinions.

pixolia

Cadet
I guess I do have one final question. Where is the best/cheapest place to get a good stable marine battery? Am I just as good off going to a local store or buying online? Any recommendations for finding some for a good price? i know they are expensive, so the more I can save the better for still good quality batteries.

fishrdan

Admiral
What is the output of your main engine's charging system? If sufficient, you could run a MinnKota DC alternator charger to charge the trolling batteries when the main engine is run. It will top off your batteries at 10 amps/bank, limited by the output of what the charger's input is, so it may only be 5 amps/bank (more, or less). Once the main battery is charged up, the DC alternator charger will start charging the trolling batteries. If you don't use the trolling motor much, and use the outboard a lot, it will keep the batteries topped off.

http://www.iboats.com/On-Board-Alte...3778908--session_id.075537398--view_id.368413

Is that trolling motor a "digital" trolling motor or speed coil, 1-2-3-4-5 speed settings or infinite speed? (With the 68# label, I'm guessing speed coil with the stepped speeds, inefficient TM) If it's digital, 10 miles is nothing if you have sufficient batteries, as long as you're not fighting wind, waves and current. Even if it's speed coil, I bet you could make 10 miles it with a pair of group 29 batteries, barring wind and waves.

pixolia

Cadet
Hey!

Thanks for the great insight fishrdan!

I think I'll go that route. Where do you think the best place is to buy some solid cheaper marine batteries? Also, what gauge wire would I need to run the motor if I have the batteries in the front of the boat and to run to them from the back of the boat where the minn Kota charger from the main engine would be? My boat is a 20' pontoon.

Thanks!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Walmart and Academy sports and Advance (always online coupon codes availible to reduce price, often $30 off) I have used all 3 plaeas batteries and am happy with all.

You could buy a $100 small generator and a plug in battery charger and let it run a few hours to charge them, but I think we me turned this awhile back.

fishrdan

Admiral
I get dual purpose marine batteries from Walmart, they are decent quality, and if one goes bad the stores are everywhere to get a replacement, even at odd hours. True "deep cycle" marine batteries are going to be best for your application, but you're not going to get those at WalMart. WM batt - $100, deep cycle $150+

For wiring, check genuinedealz(dot)com, excellent wire at good prices, quick shipping. Google blue seas dc wire calculator to figure out the wire size you'll need. Probably 6-8ga going to the TM if needed, and 10-12(???) to the charger, really depends on wire run lengths.

Battery placement is going to be important as 2 batts plus that TM will be adding 200# to the boat, probably don't want that all hanging off the bow.

I wouldn't use an cheap generator to run a batt charger, unless it's a cheap charger you don't really care about. I have thought of doing it, but don't want to blow up a $250 MinnKota charger with dirty power from a cheap generator. I'd use an inverter generator, but they are not cheap...