Patching a hole

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the easiest way to fix a hole ,boat is on a lift and in fresh water . Welding is out (don't have a machine or qualified aluminum welder)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Need more info and a pix would be helpful

A football sized hole, a long gash or a quarter (or smaller) sized hole?

An aluminum hull correct?

IMO, @ a smallish hole, an aluminum patch back buttered w 3M 5200 and riveted in place. Closed end 3/16 all aluminum (pull mandrel too) blind rivet.

silveraire

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since you don't want to or can't weld to fix it properly, why not try duct tape? But I digress, JB is right. We need pics.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And with picture then we will know if this "hole" is actually in the toons of some place else. It does make a difference. JMHO

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a friend that lives on a lake and has a pontoon boat , has Parkinson's disease (latter stage) when l go visit he always wants to go fishing , well last week we went out and when we came back l noticed boat was lower in water on one side , put it up with the lift , did not have time to check for leak and wind was blowing . I told him l would come back when school is out , but if there is a leak he will probably ask me to fix it so l was trying to get any information ahead of time .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a friend that lives on a lake and has a pontoon boat , has Parkinson's disease (latter stage) when l go visit he always wants to go fishing , well last week we went out and when we came back l noticed boat was lower in water on one side , put it up with the lift , did not have time to check for leak and wind was blowing . I told him l would come back when school is out , but if there is a leak he will probably ask me to fix it so l was trying to get any information ahead of time .

Sounds like your friend has a very good friend. I applaud you for you interest to help him out.

First thing is to determine where on the toon it is leaking, The if it is a mere little crack, you could mix up some marine epoxy and cover over the leak, but only after thoroughly clean the area first to bright clean shiny metal. However if it is a seriously large leak, then you will have to address a patch repair system to try and stop it. Obviously the best option is to have it re-welded. But I understand your situation. So find the leak and then let us know where it is and even take a few pictures so we can offer the best solution if it is larger then a small crack. JMHO

snowseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where re you located if you don't mind sharing? Some one on the board might be close, have a welder and the skills, and offer to help.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to have to check on the leak before l pursue any action . I just wanted to know some course of action . Thanks for everyone's input , duct tape and all.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If your plan is to patch it enough so you can pull it and get it welded use trash bags and go slow. Do not glue anything in there as that will make welding repair very difficult.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Try Flex Seal Tape .Google it.

Might work for a week or two?

JB weld or some of the moldable 2 part putty might work better. Both these It would need to be dry to do. Rough up the area around it with sand paper or wire wheel and put it on