Vibration on deck of new pontoon boat?

Leveboat

Cadet
Hi boaters! My husband and I just test rode a 2016 Starcraft CX21R with a 90hp motor. The ride was great, but when we got up to top speed (~27mph) there was some reverberation (or maybe I should say, vibration) in the middle of the boat. The marina said that some reverberation was normal for pontoons, as it's the waves of the lake hitting underneath the crossbeams and decking. It was pretty windy that day, but no one else on the water. Is this normal? We really like this boat, but we're used to riding on friends wake board boats where it's a smooth ride.

Any insight would really be appreciated! Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Waves can hit the underside of the deck and make noise, plus you can feel it, there are panels that can be placed under the deck to stop the water from getting that high. They provide a smooth surface below the framework.

Leveboat

Cadet
Thanks ondarvr! Is the panels you refer to called "under-decking", and do you know if it is fairly easy to install yourself?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the trailer and access to the under side of the deck, it may be a little difficult to put them in place, but it's not really complicated. There's probably a You Tube video on it.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Is it a very rough vibration? If not then it is probably the waves hitting it or maybe even a little vibration from the engine

ahicks

Captain
I have a basic distrust of salesman. If curious, I would fact check the person saying "normal" (or anything else he said that seems a little out of line) by trying a couple different boats from different dealers.

ahicks

Captain
I don't think there's any question water hits the bottom of the deck. In my mind though, I am struggling with the idea that water may be setting up anything in the way of harmonics or "reverberation" as the OP mentions....

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Under skin or under decking will help. A third toon with under skin will make even more difference in ride and handling. If you don't want to spend the extra, don't ride a tritoon!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bet it's motor vibration at a certain rpm. If I remember right my in laws use to have a vibration at a certain higher speed