Have a 90 hp on a 24' toon will a 115 be ok

Dtrain2020

Cadet
I have a 1983 24' kayot pontoon with a old 1965 johnson
Meteor on now. That motor is tired and i have a 1988 evinrude 115 hp that i can put on. Not sure if the toon can handle it, im guessing the old 65 should be similar weight to the newer one. Any input would be appreciated

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Dtrain2020, we always like new iboaters to join us....

To try and answer your question, what does the specification plate specify? Usually that tells the max HP and passenger count. And I would go by that first. JMHO

jbcurt00

Staff member
As far as I can tell, its rated for a 115hp, so swap away.

Got pix?

Welcome to iboats

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dtrain,
I went from a 90 HP on my old pontoon boat to a 115 HP. It weighs about 80 pounds more and makes the rear of the boat sit lower at rest. To handles the added weight, thrust and torque (the push of the propeller trying to twist the top of the transom backwards), I shopped around the used boat parts places near me and found a more substantial engine pod. I installed it and additional crossmembers between the logs to support the added weight and forces. ... I am trained as an engineer so I know quite a bit about mechanical systems and metallurgy. If you don't have the knowledge to do such an upgrade yourself, perhaps you can find a trustworthy person nearby who can advise you. ..... BTW, the specification plate on my boat was illegible when I bought it so I made my own judgements about what it could handle.

Dtrain2020

Cadet
Thanks for the info my plate is unreadable, as far as i could tell from the info i could find online there were several models of that pontoon. And some were rated for a 115 im just not sure which model i have . So i think i will atleast try it out and be careful not to get on it hard. I was not really looking to gain speed or anything its just the only ither motor i have. Again thanks alot happy boating

ahicks

Captain
Is this an adjustable transom, or is it fixed? The adjustable transoms are rated for much less power, and would not likely handle a more modern 115 even if it were in perfect condition.

I'm assuming the part of the mount the engine fastens to is plywood or oak. What kind of shape is that in? Over the years, I've rescued 2 different boats where that board broke in 2, leaving the cables straining to keep the engine from dropping to the bottom of the lake.

Also, for whatever it's worth, those old engines are WAY over rated by modern standards. A good 50 or 60hp can run circles around those older series engines. Lot's of wishful thinking going on back in those days.

Dtrain2020

Cadet
It is a fixed plywood transom . I plan on replacing it and reinforcing it with some brackets

Dtrain2020

Cadet
Got another quick question will a 25hp outboard be sufficient to push the pontoon around the lake im not looking for speed just something that will get me to the fishing hole. Thx for all the info

aspeck

Staff member
A 25 HP will absolutely push you around (we have some 10HP only waters around here with pontoons that size and 9.9's hanging on the back). You will not set any speed records, and with the top up and a strong head wind and/or current you will not make a lot of forward progress. But to answer your question, yes, it is doable and for some who are not into speed at all, actually quite enjoyable.

EricPontoon

Recruit
I have a 2000 Godfrey Sweetwater 24' pontoon boat with a 1986 Mercury 115 2-stroke. The factory plate on the boat I believe says maximum HP of 125. However, my transom is made of aluminum, so that may be a factor.