1st time wannabe Pontoon owner

MsCarla

Recruit
Looking to purchase Pontoon boat. 1st time owners. Retired.
The marina on the lake carries Crest & South Bay. We are looking at 22-24 ft ,150hp 4 stroke. What is the markup on these types of boats ? Any and All opinions appreciated.

ahicks

Captain
I can't help you with specifics, but between now and the 4th of July is the most expensive time of the year to buy a new boat. You can still find some deals on a used one, but as a first time boat owner, you may want to enlist the services of a mobile tech to go over anything you get serious about. Make any offer contingent on the boat passing his inspection.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Looking to purchase Pontoon boat. 1st time owners. Retired.
The marina on the lake carries Crest & South Bay. We are looking at 22-24 ft ,150hp 4 stroke. What is the markup on these types of boats ? Any and All opinions appreciated.

I live on a large lake in the summer and Pontoon popularity has skyrocketed. It's to the point where 80% of every boat out on the lake at any given moment is a new or newer pontoon. Because of that popularity, a barely mid level pontoon is at least 50k which may get you a tritoon with an adequate engine. To get something nice with very good but not awesome power, they are hovering just over 100k. I'm sort of in the market for one as in in the next couple of years and it the new market is littered with the very low end 25K models (no trailer included) with a 40 or 50hp engine. I would not be a buyer with anything less than 150hp and there just aren't that many of those that I'm seeing that are even 115hp as I'm thinking everyone is ordering these higher level pontoons that I'm seeing. I'm thinking that these pontoons are like the profit rich SUV's of the car world. Our local marina has shifted their product mix and now only sells Pontoons and over $100k tow sports boats having dropped bowriders all together a few years back.

MsCarla

Recruit
Thank you to ahicks & jkust for your thoughts. Are Crest and SouthBay known brands?
How do they compare to SunTrackers?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
SunTrackers are the bottom of the line.

Friend of mine got a new Sweetwater 22' last summer with the larger diameter logs and a Yamaha 115 4 stroke. I was surprised how well it performs. Real nice boat too.

ahicks

Captain
I don't know about Southbay, but the Crest brand has been around forever, is generally thought of as a solid middle of the line boat. We bought a brand new one in '79 when there were only a few other pontoons on our lake - prior to them pretty much taking over to the point they are now.

I see you're retired. Are you going for the bigger engine to pull the kids/grand kids tubing and skiing? If not, you can get away with much less power than what you are considering.Point being, power it for how you'll be using it. Not because that's what everyone else is using or that's what the salesman is suggesting.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
If I ever buy another pontoon boat shout me .just kidding a little. Crest is the way I'd go. Google Crest on line watch video..

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I live on a large lake in the summer and Pontoon popularity has skyrocketed. It's to the point where 80% of every boat out on the lake at any given moment is a new or newer pontoon. Because of that popularity, a barely mid level pontoon is at least 50k which may get you a tritoon with an adequate engine. To get something nice with very good but not awesome power, they are hovering just over 100k. I'm sort of in the market for one as in in the next couple of years and it the new market is littered with the very low end 25K models (no trailer included) with a 40 or 50hp engine. I would not be a buyer with anything less than 150hp and there just aren't that many of those that I'm seeing that are even 115hp as I'm thinking everyone is ordering these higher level pontoons that I'm seeing. I'm thinking that these pontoons are like the profit rich SUV's of the car world. Our local marina has shifted their product mix and now only sells Pontoons and over $100k tow sports boats having dropped bowriders all together a few years back.

Am I understanding you correctly when your saying that a pontoon more luxury or upper level costs $100,000!!??? Just drive 5 hours and save $50,000?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you to ahicks & jkust for your thoughts. Are Crest and SouthBay known brands?
How do they compare to SunTrackers?

Haha, yea like the post below yours, sun trackers are entry level. Crest is a known brand, they make an entry level series and a more expensive line. There good boats.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
thats the thing about pontoons from 30 years old to brand new they hold up and i have seen a redecking and new carpet in a week end

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Shop around for the boat that you want, go to boat show's on the last day. Boat dealers hate to return with another boat to sell. Remember you don't have to buy there boat When I bought our boat they were advertising one just like it for $ 25,000.As we pulled into there yard there boat was going out of the lot. So we asked if they had anything like it..They had one that was a year older Only it didn't have a trailer.I told them I'd buy the older boat if they threw in a trailer..I got there lot trailer,.Duel wheels, brakes,,What I got was a 24 foot StarCraft pontoon boat ,loaded, 90 hp Mercury 2 stroke. A five Star Bunk Trailer All for $13,000 ,So shop around.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Am I understanding you correctly when your saying that a pontoon more luxury or upper level costs $100,000!!??? Just drive 5 hours and save $50,000?
Yes, 50k is barely touching the entry point for a mid level pontoon with an adequate engine new...not talking used in that example. The 100k models (actually just over 100k) gets you a beautiful and large tritoon but maybe only 300hp and not the 600hp models that are on my lake...again new. In other words they techincally aren't upper level at 100k as compared to what is on the lake that people custom ordered and don't get stocked on the showroom floor. Last season they finally started to carry a little more budget conscious brand of pontoon that cuts out many of the luxury amenities but the engines still cost you.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Both build good boats. 22-24' and 150 are good all around choices and will be very marketable if and when you decide to sell. Figure out how you intend and will likely use the boat. Then select the layout, flooring, features and assecories you want. In that size and hp you can get a nice boat with trailer for 50K or way less.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
https://boat-builder.benningtonmari...29a1528b1e842?SERIES/QX&MODEL/27QXSBX2DL=true

there it is, 170k for a no options checked bennington 27' toon.. easily. i built a single engine too that was 130k.

Now are there pontoons cheaper absolutely!! can some people spend ridiculous money on these new ones... absolutely!!

To the OP, how do you feel on used? you could probably drop 25-30 grand and get a really nice one with most of your options checked.

ahicks

Captain
OK, point made, you can spend that kind of money on a pontoon, BUT -
A pontoon with a 10' beam is hardly anything anybody I know would call typical. That's pretty extreme. Proof only that you can get carried away. If you want to spend money, Bennington is not going to force you to go elsewhere.

Kinda like driving an exotic sports car for commuting and chasing groceries. Some people do that too, but it's darn sure not the norm.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I was looking at used Bennington in the 24' size with a 90HP outboard that was around 5 years old. It was less than $20K. It's not going to pull skiers if that's what you want but a very nice pontoon.

If you actually live in some hole that has unrealistic prices for boats like jkust does, spend a few hours to look in areas outside of where you live. I ended up driving to Lake Havasu AZ from Los Angles to buy my pontoon in my signature. Was 5 years old with 75 hours on the engine for $13K.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Argumentative, unhelpful posts have been removed as were the posts they quoted and vice versa