Inboard Project

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been a long time since I've been back here excited to hear from you guys. I built my current pontoon and everything was a blast and in the past 5 years wow is there a lot of different companies offering new products. Which makes me want to really start planning my next boat, an inboard pontoon rebuild. Ive seen them with the old mercruiser motors in but I'm wanting to do something completely different. I want to put in a 383 stroker and want it out for display. I've only seen a few of these and hopefully there is someone here that knows where I should start. What size drive would I need and will it have to have anything different then a regular crate motor will be for a car? Thanks guys !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bravo II or volvo DP would be my first suggestion

and yes, if you start with a crate motor, you need to change core plugs and head gaskets and run an appropriate cam. your exhaust determines your maximum cam you can run. with stock marine manifolds, your limited to 268 degrees duration on a flat tappet and 270 on a roller. if you go with a long dry-tube, you can run more duration prior to reversion.

If it was me and building a motor to be out in front of god and country, I would build an aluminum LSx motor vs a gen 1 SBC

ahicks

Captain
There is no absolutely no substitute for cubic inches on the water, none!!!!! Myself, I'd keep it a pretty civilized (conservative) build regarding carb(s) and cam - in the name of user friendliness and durability. Big carb and a lot of cam can often create a great big flat spot off the idle - exactly where you need your punch when launching on the water. The ski/drag Sanger I had used a cam from a garbage truck.....

I don't know where you are at, but down here in FL, there are many boats for sale with rotted out transoms and/or floors. These "project boats" very often go for pennies on the dollar. A "donor" boat like this may be able to jump start your project very economically, and include a lot of stuff you don't think of when starting from scratch.

Best of luck, keep us posted on your progress. -Al

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
So when you say different core plugs and head gaskets what's the reasoning behind that?

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
core plugs will be iron and will need be swapped for brass to avoid freezing in the block, which wasn't done on my boat, and one froze..... HG im not sure

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
I saw a video on Crest pontoon boats ,these boats fly. I always wondered if Anyone has tried using jet ski motors .It would be a lot littler on the rear end of the boat.