CENTER TOON FUEL CELL AREA

crosstlak

Recruit
Got a center toon for cheap. My question is regarding the fuel cell area just in front of the transom. The area has three holes aft wall at the bottom of the toon. Wouldn't plugging these holes result in more buoyancy? I realize that when the fuel cell is full there wouldn't be much of a difference but my concern is two fold. In the event of a fuel leak the leak could enter the water and two, is the fuel cell where empty it would have a tendency to try and float.
Harm in plugging the holes with a drain plug?

ahicks

Captain
I wouldn't. I would be more concerned about the ability of the water to escape quickly as the boat accelerates and gets "on top".

crosstlak

Recruit
Thanks ahicks. I wasn't sure or not if I would expect water to be in this area with the boat at rest.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Unless the fuel tank area is completely sealed, water will get in from the top, especially when you are underway. Unless there are holes to let that water out, it's just a matter of time before the tank area is full of water. I'm guessing the designer decided it was better to have some water in the bottom than to have the entire tank area full.