Pontoon value guesstimate needed

johnboatsone

Recruit
-Trying to find an estimated boat value for the following. 1987 - 14 Foot - Princecraft Pontoon Boat - fair condition. 9.8 HP Merc outboard on it? Thanks in advance - John

Attachments

• 14Pontoon.png
    14Pontoon.png
    389.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I've never seen such a small pontoon! I agree, $1500.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Johnboatsone,
I don't disagree with the previous estimates, but I will offer a little more food for thought.
  1. On a boat/motor/trailer that old the value is determined by its condition and usability more than anything else. That means you need to either check everything or have everything checked by a knowledgable person.
  2. The most expensive thing to replace on that group is likely the motor. If it is bad or on its last legs it will likely cost you much more than $1500 to replace it with a reliable new motor. That is the item I would most want checked out well.
  3. Trailers are pretty simple. If its not rusted too bad, most parts can be repaired or replaced without too much expense. A good trailer alone can be worth $1500 if it of a size that lots of people want. If its a unique size that only works for your boat, its only valuable to you.
  4. Pontoon boats are also pretty simple. If the logs are water tight and the structure and decking are sound, the only thing else that could cost a bit is the furniture. You could easily spend $2-3000 on furniture should you need it. Factor that in to your value calculation.
My bottom line is that I think a 30 year old 14' pontoon boat with motor and trailer is worth about $4-5000 if everything is in excellent condition. Subtract from that what you think it will cost you to get everything into excellent condition and that is the most I would offer for it. For example, if the motor is shot, I'd offer $500.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
and now lets look at from another angle its a :D 30 year old 14' pontoon boat with motor and trailer:D so thats a very limited market even right now so resale is all most non existent, i would offer 500 if the motor is in running condition and the interior is in decent condition and the trailer tire have life left in them

ahicks

Captain
Resale slant is a fair point. 16' pontoon boats have a pretty limited appeal. A 14' would have even less. Safe bet the seller isn't getting a lot of calls on it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
and a question for the OP is their a reason your interested in a 14 footer thats a boat for electric or a pond, 18 ft is about the shortest that is comfortable on a small lake with a 20ft common

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The pontoon market is extremely hot! And with that comes really high resale values. The boat in my sig I bought brand new and just sold for more than I originally paid for it.

Pontoon's have evolved from very basic and humble water transportation to sexy and cool.

Unfortunately there is no nastalgia when it comes to old pontoons.

I think others have pointed out reasonable values but I can imagine where the thing could even be used.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Johnboatsone,
I don't disagree with the previous estimates, but I will offer a little more food for thought.
  1. On a boat/motor/trailer that old the value is determined by its condition and usability more than anything else. That means you need to either check everything or have everything checked by a knowledgable person.
  2. The most expensive thing to replace on that group is likely the motor. If it is bad or on its last legs it will likely cost you much more than $1500 to replace it with a reliable new motor. That is the item I would most want checked out well.
  3. Trailers are pretty simple. If its not rusted too bad, most parts can be repaired or replaced without too much expense. A good trailer alone can be worth $1500 if it of a size that lots of people want. If its a unique size that only works for your boat, its only valuable to you.
  4. Pontoon boats are also pretty simple. If the logs are water tight and the structure and decking are sound, the only thing else that could cost a bit is the furniture. You could easily spend $2-3000 on furniture should you need it. Factor that in to your value calculation.
My bottom line is that I think a 30 year old 14' pontoon boat with motor and trailer is worth about $4-5000 if everything is in excellent condition. Subtract from that what you think it will cost you to get everything into excellent condition and that is the most I would offer for it. For example, if the motor is shot, I'd offer $500.

That trailer is probably a jet ski trailer, with the bunks moved to accept the toons and a large front post for the toon. So atleast you could seel that as a double jetski trailer