Lifting Pontoon Boat Off the Ground

dmac37

Cadet
I have my 20ft pontoon pulled up on my beach and is sitting on 4 6x6 wooden blocks. I usually have a trailer back in to load and unload to/from the shore at the change of each season but the ground is too wet and soft this year. I would like to raise the boat high enough to remove the blocks and place 3" pipes to roll it back down a short slight slope into the water.The water level is rising so much the rear of the boat is now in the water.
I'm thinking a portable crane/cherry picker? I'm not sure if this is the best and if it is ok to lift from the 2 eye holes on the top front of the pontoons?

ahicks

Captain
Do you have 6 or 8 neighbors or buddies you can round up? They could launch that boat pretty easily by hand.

Rather than pipes, consider using inflatable dock bumpers, maybe 6 of them (more is better!), located mostly under the back half of the boat. They work great and are not damaged very easily!

If you could lift both bow eyes using a rig that would not try to pull them together too much while lifting, they should work fine.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Let me echo what ahicks said. If you lift by the bow eyes, put something like an 8' fence post between the two straps to keep them from pulling inward.

alldodge

Staff member
usually have a trailer back in to load and unload to/from the shore at the change of each season but the ground is too wet and soft this year

How about getting a few 2x12 and lay them on the ground so you back the trailer under it

dmac37

Cadet
How about lifting the rear of the boat? We are still getting rain and I'm hoping the boat may be in enough water by Saturday or I can just dig out the rear blocks that are already sunk in the sand. If not I may still need to lift the rear.
Is a portable crane the best option for the front or is there something better/easier?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What I'm imagining may not match what you see, but here goes. If the ground is not rocky and the logs are fairly thick aluminum, I'd consider sliding it the 20' into the water. Either dig out the wooden blocks and slide it on the sand, or place some heavy plastic sheet beneath each log between the blocks. Then dig out the blocks and slide on the plastic. I'm envisioning a helper with a boat in the water pulling on the back end of your boat while you and two or three friends push on the front end. .... If you can't dig out the blocks, perhaps you could use a 12' long 2"x8" board as a lever. If you slipped 2' of the board beneath the log, you'd have a 5:1 advantage on the end of the board. That might be enough for two strong people to lift one side enough to pull out the blocks and put ahick's dock bumpers in place. ... Be careful.

dmac37

Cadet
What I'm imagining may not match what you see, but here goes. If the ground is not rocky and the logs are fairly thick aluminum, I'd consider sliding it the 20' into the water. Either dig out the wooden blocks and slide it on the sand, or place some heavy plastic sheet beneath each log between the blocks. Then dig out the blocks and slide on the plastic. I'm envisioning a helper with a boat in the water pulling on the back end of your boat while you and two or three friends push on the front end. .... If you can't dig out the blocks, perhaps you could use a 12' long 2"x8" board as a lever. If you slipped 2' of the board beneath the log, you'd have a 5:1 advantage on the end of the board. That might be enough for two strong people to lift one side enough to pull out the blocks and put ahick's dock bumpers in place. ... Be careful.
Extra manpower is not an option, thats why I'm looking for ideas other than manpower.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they make lifting bags (reinforced bags you fill with an air compressor or a dive tank for lifting air craft, etc). they will lift quite a few tons. they are really pricey - more than hiring day labor.

dmac37

Cadet
Thanks for all the ideas, it worked out well. I put some wood down then some 3" PVC, then dug out my four 6x6 pieces of wood that the boat was on. Once I dug the last one in the back the boat rolled right in and was able to do this by myself.