Launching pontoon with lights plugged in

Hammbone!

Cadet
New boat and TRAILOR with surge brakes....I thought I was ready for first launch then somebody told me to unhook TRAILOR lights? Can I still pull TRAILOR or will brakes lock up?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can still pull trailer with them unplugged. I never bother pulling the plug on the trailer lights.

The only time you would have any problem pulling the plug is if...... you had disc brakes.....and.....you have a reverse lockout solenoid......and......you were going to back up a hill. Not likely at a launch ramp.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and if you have disc brakes with a reverse lock out solenoid, there is a pin or latch on the surge brake head to disable the brakes

ahicks

Captain
Back in the day.........we had to make do with taillights that flooded when backed into the water. With jockeying around on the ramp, the brake lights were on a lot, which heated those glass bulbs up to the point where they would burn you easily. That hot bulb would smoke immediately as soon as it was submeged in the much cooler water - leading to the advice regarding unplugging prior to backing in.

Today's tail lights seal MUCH better, and often house LED's rather than bulbs, so they're much less critical when it comes to being submerged.

Hammbone!

Cadet
Yes talked to dealer today they said they are made to be submerged...no need to unhook....we will see tomorrow!

Hammbone!

Cadet
Just read owners manual for Karavan TRAILOR ......it said IMPORTANT UNPLUG TRAILER LIGHT BEFORE LAUNCHING BOAT! So what the hell lol