Right prop for 24' pontoon

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On an OMC drive we had on a boat years ago, we would often go through up to 2 aluminum props in a 2 week trip up in Canada because of small driftwood strikes. With a SS prop would have no damage.

ahicks

Captain
Sorry, I'm sure there are all sorts of special circumstances you could rig your boat for, but I'm not going to rig a boat for "driftwood resistance". Not for how I use one anyway. Here in Mi. you need to be careful the first part of the season due to stuff the ice has disturbed, but generally, that's not something you're going to run across often.

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
This all reminds me of the discussions regarding aluminum wheels vs steel wheels on a car/truck. Seemingly similar arguments..... :)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So then I guess engine manufactures using SS props is just all marketing hype and bling...? Really, this is worth knowing.....

They have their place. On high performance boats that will really flex an aluminum prop, the SS won't deflect as much and pitch will remain more true under hard load. The negatives all still exist in these applications as well though. On a pontoon, not a big deal you won't notice the small gains.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Agreed...pointless on a pontoon which is why I don't use one on mine.