Front Deck Repair help

jayhat

Recruit
I need to repair the front platform section of deck that is outside the railing. The cover didnt cover that section and it has the top plywood layers peeling off. My thought is to remove carpet let dry out then remove all loose wood and then fill with some sort of epoxy and re carpet. Any thoughts anyone?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
We need more information. Was this the original decking? How old is the boat? Other than plywood delaminating, is the deck solid (no soft spots)? Is it possible someone previously installed normal plywood rather than marine grade plywood?

ahicks

Captain
I wouldn't plan on re-gluing. Generally when you get ply delam like that, there's significant rotting going on as well.

As far as how to repair, I would figure out where the first to second sheet seam is at and plan on replacing from there forward at minimum.

I would be suspicious though, regarding the condition of the rest of the plywood. Generally if one sheet goes, there are others gone as well, or they aren't far from it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you cant patch it, you gotta replace it

pull seats, pull helm, pull fence, redeck the whole thing with a few sheets of plywood, new carpet on the deck, reinstall fence, reinstall helm, reinstall seats - go boating

should take no more than a 3 day weekend (did it in 2 days by myself)