Pontoon Battery and Fuel Tank location

schmiddy

Recruit
I'm new to this forum and I could sure use a little advise. I am starting a restoration on my old Harris pontoon. the pontoon is a 20' overall with a 16' playpen. the problem I have is that the battery and fuel tank were located under the rear seats and I would rather not put them under the new seats. the playpen is placed all the way to the rear of the boat so there no room behind. I am thinking about moving the whole playpen forward but I would rather not. Has anyone else out there had this problem or have any advise? Thanks,
John

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

This is one of those questions that while being a restore issue, would get more input in the pontoon area. I'l see if GA_Boater can move it

Being there is no room at the rear kind of limits where the items can be installed. Have any room or would you want to add an extension/shelf to the back of a toon or both of them?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
schmiddy,
I offer a few thoughts. First, a 20' pontoon boat will be fairly sensitive to weight distribution. Think about what a typical load will include and where the movable parts (e.g., people and ice chests) will be. You'll want the fuel and battery to be where it compliments the weight distribution rather than having it mostly on one end or the other. Second, perhaps you could go with different gas tank with a shape better suited to where you want to put it. For example, you might be able to fit a battery and a tall, thin tank behind the playpen (I call it the fence) if it were moved only one foot forward. Of course that would put the weight of the motor, fuel and battery all at the very back. Another possibility would be to get a tank that was sized to fit under the seats but short enough to leave some storage space above it. A remote filler would also minimize the inconveniece of having the tank under a seat. ... Good luck and let us know what you decide.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard schmiddy

As suggested by AllDodge , moved your thread into the Pontoon section for a better chance of Tooners seeing your questions.

If you are replacing the deck, the playpen is coming off anyway, so moving it forward a bit for tank space should be doable. Are you trying to preserve the four feet in front of the playpen? That complicates things a little

The relocated tank can hang over the rear deck a small amount or a short deck extension can accommodate the tank. What are the tank measurements? I would prefer to keep the battery inside the fence for security.

Any chance of getting a few pictures? That would help with suggestions. Click on the Forum Help in the sig below and look at the Photo Tutorial.

schmiddy

Recruit
Thanks. Finally got the pontoon home from the lake and got a few pictures. The thing I did not notice before is the railing around the front does not allow me to move the playpen forward so I think I'm back to square one. I am planning a complete rebuild front and back. the back will be 2 38" seats. My main question is can I put the tank under one of these seats. I am worried about fumes building up in such an enclosed area.
If you have any other ideas I really would appreciate your advice.

IMG_0183.JPG. IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0179.JPG

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The first thing that comes to my mind is that there is a lot of unused space behind the fence where the two logs stick out the back. How about fabricating a platform between the engine pod and one of the logs to hold your gas tank? For example, you could use two pieces of angle-aluminum to run between the pod and log, and attach a piece of 3/4" marine plywood to them for a platform. You could enclose it with a vent if you liked, or leave it exposed with a tie-down.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
my thought would be to shift all of the fence forward,you would gain floor space you can use at the front of the boat and the deck space for fuel, battery and more storage space by adding a simple compartment and even a sun deck over top

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is the back of mine. You may not have the aluminum extended all the way back on yours, but the right carpentry skills, proper attachment along the transom pan side and a tube of construction adhesive could attach a set of these platforms to the back of you 'toon quite well I believe. It would not cost a whole lot to have a piece of c channel welded on your tube to support this platform, I think outside only would suffice.

And yes that is a retired pool ladder on the port side platform, works like a charm.;)

Last edited:

Tompen

Seaman Apprentice
I highly recommend locating your fuel and battery in the very back -- building platforms (preferably enclosed with top access). You have the space over those toons that stick out, so why not use it.

I don't think weight distribution will be a big issue, particularly if you keep the small/light motor in your pics, and also if your pontoons are 24 feet long, as you implied.

Your original post said: "the pontoon is a 20' overall with a 16' playpen."
I'm not sure of the official definition, but doesn't a "20 foot pontoon boat" mean its 20 ft front to back of the pontoons??
If you have a 16 ft playpen, and 4 foot floor space in front of the playpen as it appears in your pics, and another 4 feet length of pontoon sticking out back behind the playpen again as it appears in your pics, then doesn't that mean your pontoons are 24 feet? Maybe I'm missing something??

This is personal preference of course, but unless you have a good reason to leave the front of the playpen where it is, I'd also recommend moving it to the very front. It will make a huge difference to how it feels moving around the boat. Why did you say you couldn't move the playpen forward? I have an 1989 24 ft pontoon and the front of my boat was similar to yours, and I did extend the railing to the front of the boat without much trouble. I also put in double doors (gates) at the front which provides a nice wide 4 ft opening with both doors open..

Most people get pontoons for the space, and so why not maximize it. Moving the railing to the front, and putting your battery and fuel tank in the back will increase your usable space significantly. I believe ALL newer pontoons have both of these features -- railing extends to the very front, and utilization of space to the rear of the toons.

I attached a pic of my boat before my restoration (all I have access to at the moment), and it appears the front is similar to yours. But my back railing/playpen extended further back than yours. (by the way, I replaced my back platform located behind the back bench seat, and I extended it and cantileavered it about 12", essentially over my motor - can't have too much space! Makes a good sleeping surface.)

Good luck!

Attachments

• boatSideview.jpg
    boatSideview.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
As previously mentioned i would create a small platform above the back of each toon. My boat came with the batteries mounted there and a latter platform on the other