Will this hull get up on plane?

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This weekend we're going to float the boat with nothing on it but old decking to check the waterline. Will take pics and post.

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Floated it at lake aquilla but didn't get a chance to take pics. I was up to my hips in water. Motor not hooked up so floating it using winch strap in wind was a challenge. From the marking our son made on side of toon w marker it currently rides high in water. Here. Arw some pics of all the foam under the decking. 99.6% dry!! Sealed new deck with Wedgewood color.

jbcurt00

Staff member
No pix posted

Dry foam, allthe way down at the bottom of the toons? In several places?

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The only wet foam was in the stern....back 2 feet of toons were wet. Most of it was cut out so a bilge pump could be installed. I cleaned most of it up.... I did not cut down in to the foam in the bow. The toons are full of foam up to the decking.....I sampled pieces of the top from bow to stern and all was dry, but I only cut down about 6 inches......should I go all the way to the bottom? Here are some pics. Thats the new decking in "wedgewood blue." Lots of work still to be done. All the wires have to be in place prior to sealing deck as I can not access it from the bottom.

Attachments

• photo261360.jpg
    photo261360.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261361.jpg
    photo261361.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261362.jpg
    photo261362.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261363.jpg
    photo261363.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261364.jpg
    photo261364.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 0

Merc40hp

Cadet
First thing I see is the exposed ribs under floor, with the added weight and power of a 150HP engine, these ribs will ride hard against the compression waves and chop underneath the boat. You need to under skin the floor. As for getting on plane, IDK, but I would be concerned with the nose of the toons not having any rake to give them lift. Given enough speed (torque) you could plow nose first into a wave or whatever. The hull just doesn't appear to be made for speed. Be careful, I would not over power this hull.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
kryan2,
I did a search for the company whose name is on the ID plate on your boat. The Facebook page of a company with that same name showed a modest little business that makes and repairs fiberglass boats. It would be presumptuous of me to conclude that such a company would not have have access to the services of a qualified marine engineer to design and oversee the construction of their boats. But it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that such a company featured people who know a lot about making things out of fiberglass but not so much about boat design. I'm sure there are many companies building aluminum pontoon boats without the benefit of advice from a marine engineer, but the forumla for aluminum boats is pretty well established in the public domain. .... My point is that the previous comments regarding the strength of your boat's transom and the safety of such a boat being highly powered and operating at high speeds deserve serious consideration. Unless you have the academic training or extensive hands-on experience to evaluate the changes and uses you want to make of this boat, I suggest you find someone who does have those qualifications to offer their advice. .... And just because someone here offers advice doesn't mean they know what they are talking about ... including me.

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First and foremost......I'm not trying to be speed racer. This is going to be a fishing toon. The 150 is what I purchased at a good deal. I HARDLY think the boat is overpowered. UnderSkin the floor?? I think the boat will do fine. Fiberglass toons are used mainly by commercial operators in salt water.....at least that's what we come up with when a google search is done.

Will keep the post alive with the build out.

thanks to all who took the time to read and comment!!

Merc40hp

Cadet
kryan2, I understand what your saying, and certainly understand a deal is a deal on the engine. Good luck on your build and when you can post us some photos.

BLUE by you

Recruit
Might want to take the motor off before seeing if it floats?

A few more pics.....Just put the 150 on. It had a 90hp we knew nothing about.....matter of fact...I still haven't even put it in the water. Hope it floats!!

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The first time I put my old pontoon boat in the water, I took a deep breath and left it there overnight to see if would still be floating level the next day. I hope your's stays high and dry.

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
slow going on boat.....been hunting, sorta. Just having fun at the lease. Boat repair starts this Saturday again!

Attachments

• pigs.JPG
    pigs.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 0

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What a journey!!!! I will NEVER EVER buy a pontoon that you can not access the wires under the floor. This full fiberglass bottom was the BIGGEST pain!!! Should water test tomorrow. Video and pics for sure....