Pontoon Restoration (Spring 2017)

Gatefreak417

Cadet
Greetings, Everyone!

My two boating "sisters" and I are starting the refurbishing of our 2013 Suntracker Party Barge 22DLX. Although mechanically sound (the engine had its 100 hour service last summer and has been run maybe 20 hours since) and structurally in great shape (pontoons, frame, and deck), we'll be tackling the following: (1) replacing the fence panels/rail skins, (2) replacing the carpet, (3) sanding and painting the weathered console, (4) miscellaneous minor electrical projects (e.g., adding a depth finder, improving the stereo, adding LED rope lights around the bottom deck rails), (5) miscellaneous minor trailer repairs (e.g., removing rust on wheels and repainting with Rust-Oleum, adding trailer guides, replacing rusted nuts/bolts/other fittings) and (6) replacing all upholstery (incl. having a new sun pad created...thanks to the SOBs who stole it and the attached changing room assembly when it was in outdoor (and supposedly secured) storage last summer. Our target date to have the boat on the lake again is June 1, 2017. With the exception of the re-upholstery, we'll be doing all of the work ourselves, so I'm looking forward to data mining these forums for tips and tricks from those who have been through projects like this before. I already learned about how to paint the console from another project post on this site today, which is what prompted me to join.

To give some context to this project, here are my sisters and I on the day that we took delivery of the Chappa'ai in July 2014 (I'm on the right...they're the cute ones). This was our "baby" in her perfectly pristine condition.

girls-boat.jpg

Here are some photos that show her current condition: (1) the damaged upholstery and nasty carpeting, (2) the damaged port bow fence panel, and (3) the boat today, after we removed the starboard bow fence rail to install new panels.

boat-seat-carpet.jpg starboard-rail-removed.jpg damaged-port-rail.jpg

We'll also be making a color change to the boat during this restoration, from a beige/burgundy blend to a grey (light and charcoal) color scheme.

At this point, the only question that I have is whether any other Suntracker pontoon boaters have ever known a Suntracker dealer from whom you could actually order parts (without having them do the labor) with ease. There are some great online sources where I can get parts that are "close" to OEM, but not always quite the right fit. Having been raised in a household of automotive DIYers, I was really surprised and infuriated when I realized (well AFTER we bought the boat), that Suntracker doesn't make available a parts guide and a way of ordering parts without having to drag the boat back to the dealer each time.

I know that there certainly aren't any online sources of part numbers and part ordering for this boat. I should have asked about parts availability before we purchased, but truthfully, I couldn't envision a boat company that makes it this hard for DIYers to get parts. It's all good, though. Once we're finished with this project, the boat won't have anything on it that identifies it as a Suntracker - it'll be more like our own little "stealth pontoon." :D

Attachments

• boat-seat-carpet.jpg
    boat-seat-carpet.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 2
  • starboard-rail-removed.jpg
    starboard-rail-removed.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2
  • damaged-port-rail.jpg
    damaged-port-rail.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2
  • damaged-port-rail.jpg
    damaged-port-rail.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1

ahicks

Captain
Regarding parts availability, if you're around boats long enough, I think you'll find they aren't anything like cars at all (none of them). Each production run of a particular make/model is pretty much a custom boat made from parts and materials available at the time. Much of the hardware, like cup holders, tables, ladders, carpet, hinges, etc. etc. etc. are outsourced just prior to that production run. There is very little intent to provide parts later on - unless those parts were made "in house" and/or are still being used in production.

With a little research, I think you'll see there is a huge aftermarket, consisting of a lot of small mom and pop shops, and huge warehouses that are supplying parts for project like yours. Plans to change colors a good one! Railings and the panels fastened to them will be nearly impossible to match, so you need to get a little creative as a rule.

Best of luck on your project.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What a great project. I can't believe the poor thing was so beat up after just a few years of use.

Gatefreak417

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! To be fair and honest, much of the damage resulted from the na?vet? of me and the girls. Enclosed boat storage is expensive and in relatively short supply in our area, so our first mistake was opting for uncovered storage in a supposedly secure boat yard. Despite repeated attempts to cover her, most of the Upholstery and carpet damage is the result of nearly three years' exposure to brutal southeast Texas summer heat and sun. We have covered storage now and we'll never make that mistake again. Some of the panel damage happened in storage while the boat was covered. Apparently, neighboring renters bumped us in our space while trying to store their RVs. By the time we discovered the damage, it was too late to determine who had tapped us or when. Similarly, the sun pad/changing room assembly was stolen while in open storage, apparently in an inside job, for which no one was caught. The damage on the front panels was all me (operator error). While putting her back on the trailer, my hand slipped off the throttle and I hit the trailer's front guards, nearly docking one of my sisters, who was waiting to connect the trailer winch strap, right into the back of her pickup truck. Fortunately, only the boat was damaged...and I can now fix that. We've learned a lot in the past three years about what NOT to do, so we're ready to return her to better than new and to be less stupid in future.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ah...sorry about that I was thinking you purchased it that way.

Sun damage is the worst thing for any boat.

My 2012 looks brand new. Kept covered a lot which is very important....make sure you have a good quality cover.

But also, make sure you use the correct upholstery treatment. Once a week or so I treat the seats.

My storage is not covered either but we cover the boat most of the time.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ugh, I hate to hear about people vandalizing and stealing from other peoples boats. I see after 2014 sun tracker started offering a 10 year warranty. If they offer a warranty they might stock replacement parts.

"Every 2014 and newer SUN TRACKER comes with a 10-year bow-to-stern warranty?supplemented with a limited lifetime warranty on deck and structural components?to assure your fun-filled days also come with the ultimate peace of mind."

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to revive an old thread, but was wondering if this restoration ever happened...and if so...show us the pics! :)

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Greetings, Everyone!

My two boating "sisters" and I are starting the refurbishing of our 2013 Suntracker Party Barge 22DLX. Although mechanically sound (the engine had its 100 hour service last summer and has been run maybe 20 hours since) and structurally in great shape (pontoons, frame, and deck), we'll be tackling the following: (1) replacing the fence panels/rail skins, (2) replacing the carpet, (3) sanding and painting the weathered console, (4) miscellaneous minor electrical projects (e.g., adding a depth finder, improving the stereo, adding LED rope lights around the bottom deck rails), (5) miscellaneous minor trailer repairs (e.g., removing rust on wheels and repainting with Rust-Oleum, adding trailer guides, replacing rusted nuts/bolts/other fittings) and (6) replacing all upholstery (incl. having a new sun pad created...thanks to the SOBs who stole it and the attached changing room assembly when it was in outdoor (and supposedly secured) storage last summer. Our target date to have the boat on the lake again is June 1, 2017. With the exception of the re-upholstery, we'll be doing all of the work ourselves, so I'm looking forward to data mining these forums for tips and tricks from those who have been through projects like this before. I already learned about how to paint the console from another project post on this site today, which is what prompted me to join.

To give some context to this project, here are my sisters and I on the day that we took delivery of the Chappa'ai in July 2014 (I'm on the right...they're the cute ones). This was our "baby" in her perfectly pristine condition.

Here are some photos that show her current condition: (1) the damaged upholstery and nasty carpeting, (2) the damaged port bow fence panel, and (3) the boat today, after we removed the starboard bow fence rail to install new panels.

We'll also be making a color change to the boat during this restoration, from a beige/burgundy blend to a grey (light and charcoal) color scheme.

At this point, the only question that I have is whether any other Suntracker pontoon boaters have ever known a Suntracker dealer from whom you could actually order parts (without having them do the labor) with ease. There are some great online sources where I can get parts that are "close" to OEM, but not always quite the right fit. Having been raised in a household of automotive DIYers, I was really surprised and infuriated when I realized (well AFTER we bought the boat), that Suntracker doesn't make available a parts guide and a way of ordering parts without having to drag the boat back to the dealer each time.

I know that there certainly aren't any online sources of part numbers and part ordering for this boat. I should have asked about parts availability before we purchased, but truthfully, I couldn't envision a boat company that makes it this hard for DIYers to get parts. It's all good, though. Once we're finished with this project, the boat won't have anything on it that identifies it as a Suntracker - it'll be more like our own little "stealth pontoon." :D

Was that new in 2014? It was in great shape if used...and just 3 years later it looked that bad and trashed?