Strake advice

Marley marl

Cadet
I have a 24 foot StarCraft That I've added a center transom tube with lifting strakes. The boat is powered by a 150 mercury. Should I add strakes to the inside or outside of my outer toons? Which will yield better performance?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Marl - The fact that you are asking these questions tells me that you likely haven't studied the science of how displacement hulls and planing hulls differ, and how force from lifting strakes is generated and distributed laterally and longitudinally along a pontoon tube. And I presume you are not prepared to do the kind of trial-and-error testing of various strake configurations that competent boat manufacturers do. So, my recommendation is to look for a boat similar to yours but with strakes and talk to the owner. Perhaps you could even do a side-by-side comparison on the water. If you conclude that the performance difference is worthwhile, then copy his strake configuration.

Marley marl

Cadet
I have seen a few boats similar to mine. Some with strakes in the outside and some on the inside. My boat was originally a pontoon with a max rating for 115hp engine. I did the conversion to a tritoon and have a transom that I placed a 150hp on it. It runs pretty good but could use more lift. Just wondering does the placement vary one way or the other

ahicks

Captain
I think the fact it makes a difference could be assumed pretty easily. I'm no expert, but my bet is variables like inside vs. outside outside locations may be more easily noticed in turns.

If you'd like to do more, I'd have a serious look at the designs from manufactures of similar boats (length, weight, furniture locations, etc.). Betting they've already done all the testing that you'd like to avoid....

Marley marl

Cadet
I added a 25" diameter center transom tube with lifting strakes rated for 175hp. I also added more cross members when I restored the boat