Anti submarine plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have tried trimming the motor up at speed and it dosent seem to raise the bow a all. But if I move the transom back so the motor is behind the logs completely instead of the prop being even with the back of them id bet that trim wood have a noticeable effect. But until I get around to that trimming the motor up some when expecting larger waves it would maybe lose bites quicker when it starts to dive.

ahicks

Captain
I like the way you have the boat set up. Easy to understand why you like it. It would obviously lend itself well to forward visibility and clear up the back for fishing, which appears to be a priority. At the same time, having the weight of the captain and console that far forward is very likely not helping your front to rear balance any. That's likely the largest part of your issue with it wanting to stuff it's nose into a wave. There's just not enough forward flotation to avoid it under some circumstances.

Moving the engine back will add counterbalancing weight, but unless you get extreme, my bet is that while that might help, it's not going to be a great help. To predict how well the engine move might work, maybe have a buddy or 2 seated as far back as practical and give that a try?

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Thanks hicks. I will try to get a couple of buddy's and try that before I change anything. If I add 3 cross members I can move the engine back 30" witch will along give me a little more deck out back.

Attachments

• photo260248.png
    photo260248.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 0

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Something all you guy's need to know if you don't already, Put all your heavy weight's in the back of the boat, don't try to see how many people will fit in your boat. And always leave the front door open. that will save you lots of money. Try it ,you will see. And if you tow your boat also leave the front door open. As for putting anything on the front , no way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On my pontoon, I never have a problem with the pontoons burying in. I have people in the front too.

I wonder if the OP has water in his toons for this to be much of an issue. Leaving the front door open is negligible compared to all the other wind resistance.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
The logs are dry, I check them several times a season. The boat rides like it does due to how I set it up for visibility and anchoring in current. But it seems I will need to move some weight around to see if I can get the bow up enough to reduce the submarine effect and still have enough od the pointed part of the logs in the water to control the sway at anchor in current kinda lime a v hull.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I usually encountered an over the bow wave on my toon on the Illinois River and considered putting a piece of plywood on the bow at a 45 degree angle like on the front of an M113 Armored Personnel Carrier.

garyd542

Recruit
Years ago 5 of us were coming back to Crystal River from a day of snorkeling with manatees at Sisters Springs. Gear, coolers etc all up front of the playpen behind the fence. Cruising along, talking and laughing, taking in the sights. Suddenly we were in an area with some old abandoned pilings and without thinking two or three of us ran up to the bow at the same time to watch for obstacles. Didn't even know that a 'toon could submarine until that moment. Quite a shock, I gotta say. That sucker took a nosedive so fast that the water was inside the fence almost instantly. The bow went much deeper than I'd have thought. I was in water to my knees and the water was gong over the top of the solid part of the fence. The prop popped out of the water at about the same time the driver pulled the throttle back and the boat lost momentum. The boat literally backed up out of the water. WOW, who knew! Once you've seen it happen it definitely makes you aware of the possibility and increases your awareness of where everyone and everything is on the boat. I never imagined that something that stable going that slow would do that but once the deck is under water, angled down with a motor driving it forward -and down- it's kind of a done deal until you get rid of the power. We were wondering how far it would have gone if the prop hadn't come out of the water and if no one had been at the wheel for a couple of seconds. Anyone know in a worst case how far it can actually submerge?

Status
Not open for further replies.