Selling boat without title

Stevprin

Recruit
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am in the process of selling my pontoon boat in Alabama. An out of state perspective buyer wants a copy of the registration. Is there any reason they would need this? He said he wants to take it to the bank for a loan, and Alabama does not issue boat titles, so I thought they wanted a copy of the regiatration for this. I'm just not comfortable sending a copy of the registration. Is there any harm in doing this? I don't have any experience in selling boats.

alldodge

Staff member
Trust your gut, if it sounds fishy it may just be. What state is the buyer in?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm not a banker, but will a bank hand out money based on just a copy of registration? Hard to believe.

tpenfield

Staff member
Usually, and in just about all cases, the registration serves as the proof of ownership when a title does not exist if it is not required by the state authorities. So, the registration would only be given (original or copy) when the boat is actually purchased and ownership is transferred.

I too am suspect of someone asking for the registration for financing purposes. The finance company/bank would generally go off of a purchase and sale agreement, and not need anything else to approve a loan. For all you know, your boat will have a loan on it and the supposed buyer will be gone with the wind (and the money).

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My personal opinion is that the bank does not need to see the registration to prepare for the possibility of issuing a loan. If they need the specific boat identification in order to decide how much they are willing to lend, you could call the bank's loan officer and give them that information over the phone. They will need to see the paperwork to confirm it is correct at the time the deal is closed. But ideally that will be at their bank where you can recieve your payment in cash at the same time. The best thing would be if the buyer's bank is one with branches near you, so you could visit one and share the information with them, and close the deal there too.

ahicks

Captain
This could be as simple as getting assurance the guy selling the boat actually owns the boat, that it's not owned by a partnership or corporation or some other body where the seller may not be fully authorized to sell the boat.

If I feel I have a solid deal on a boat I have for sale, I would not be shy providing a copy of the registration to an out of state buyer. If you're shy, have him provide the contact info for the loan officer making the request, and maybe fax that person a copy directly.

I would be pretty tempted to make this same request prior to driving several hundred miles only to find the guy isn't the legal owner, or empowered to sign off on the registration. Getting title work straightened out after the fact in a long distance transaction is something you want to avoid. Been there.....

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is your boat insured? Show them your ID card Boats don't have titles, only things with wheel do, is your boat on a trailer. Or just take a picture of your boat.I guess you have a registration number on your boat ,give them your numbers ..The bank can check them out.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If they are the current properly registered owner (even if its expired) they can order the title replacement and have it in about 3 to 4 weeks.

If they can't come up with the title... just say no.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Guys, read the OPs 1st post

He's SELLING his boat in Alabama, which doesnt title boats, to an out of state buyer. So what OH requires is irrelevant to the Alabama seller, he only has Reg. Which is all his state requires.

And the no title~no sale statement is also irrelevant in this situation. The seller started this topic.

Try to pay a little more attention to the OPs 1st posts.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In WI, only in the past few years there were no boat titles. There still is not for Jetskis.

The registration is your proof of ownership and I am not surprised the guy is asking for it. I see no harm in giving it to him and he will likely need it to title it. But states are all different. Certainly don't give it up without a bill of sale and full payment.

EVEN in states with no boat titles, there is a process for reporting leans.