Running the control wires through the deck?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to remove the ignition wiring from the quick silver control so that I can run it up through a hole in the decking. Am I doing this backwards or something because I can't get the controller apart far enough to get the ignition wiring loose from it? I can take the shift and throttle cables loose easy enough but the wiring runs behind everything and I don't see any easy way to disconnect the wires.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Pictures and or part numbers of the control may help someone identify it and give you some feedback. A great possibility exists that there is an exploded view of your controls.

alldodge

Staff member
I am trying to remove the ignition wiring from the quick silver control so that I can run it up through a hole in the decking. Am I doing this backwards or something because I can't get the controller apart far enough to get the ignition wiring loose from it? I can take the shift and throttle cables loose easy enough but the wiring runs behind everything and I don't see any easy way to disconnect the wires.

What about going the other direct, disconnect from the motor?

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In the absence of a good picture, the best I can do is speculate. I removed the old Mercury side control on my old pontoon boat and remounted it on a new support system. I later removed it completely and replaced it with a new control when I replace the engine. Based on that experience and your description, I would guess that the manufacturer installed the controller wiring and control, and then went under/inside the boat to pull all the slack out of the wiring. I doubt that it is tight all the way back to the engine. I'd look for a way to access the wire bundle inside the boat near where it leaves the control. On my boat there is a piece of side trim that covers the gap between the deck and the top of the pontoons. My wire bundle is in the space behind that trim piece and below the deck.

ahicks

Captain
I would disconnect at the engine end as well. It would be no surprise if all you had to disconnect was a single big plug. I'd surely have a look at that option before going much further. If you need to disconnect from a few different places on the engine, make DARN sure you take detailed pics or mark the wires carefully!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
^ this. I always unplug the big plug, the tnt plug and the two cables. Run through the floor and over the pontoon until you turn to enter engine well. Make sure to tie off to the underside of ply wood any where it could hang down and catch a trailer or hoist.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks I will be looking at it tomorrow to see if I can find that big plug. Wish now that I had asked before messing with the controller. That might cost me for a new one.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The plug plugs in and is clamped to the side of the motor inside the wrap around motor cover. I will see if I can get it unplugged so that I can look at the number of pins on the plug so that I can get a replacement controller if I have to. It was 55 degrees and windy yesterday and it is snowing lightly this morning so this is a good job to take up some slack on a slow day.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I have been busy paining the deck but I know what I am looking for in a control now. It is the old Quick Silver-Mercury side mount control with a 15 foot harness and a 8 pin plug.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The battery cables and the cable that runs to the controller are running through a big black sleeve and as stiff as this old wiring is it may be impossible to pull the cables out of it. That leaves cutting the sleeve open. Is this just a shrink wrap sleeve? Is there something that can be used to replace it? Maybe wrap something around the cables and keep it wrapped by tying electrical ties around it? I understand that it is important to have something around these cables where it enters the motor housing and it also protects the battery cables. I am hoping to install the new decking this weekend.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The old controller had a pin missing on the plug so somebody had run a extra wire for the purple lead. The purple wire is the one that goes from the key switch to the 12 volt positive. Took me a while to figure that out and I was about ready to try to find a controller with the 8 pin plug so I could get the motor started. So I tried it with the spare wire hooked up and the starter clicked. Now a charged up battery should get me going. Now I have to run the controller through the deck and back to the motor like it is supposed to be and hook it all up.