Q's: Mooring at dock, and winter storage for 20-22' pontoon

waterwurld

Cadet
My 18.5' bowrider is on a lift. As I get older the cranking up/down and hauling the lift in/out has me considering options. About 20yr ago, we had an 18' pontoon kept moored at our Shoremaster RS4 dock, and although we get the prevailing wind that brings 2' waves at times, the pontoon was fine. Having a floating deck at the dock provided a lot of the enjoyment from that pontoon (vs having it on a lift).

Therefore, considering replacing my bowrider/lift with a docked 20-22' pontoon. We have a jetty @15' from the docked boat, and for this bigger pontoon I plan to look at setting a post in the jetty to tie off both cleats on the pontoon's opposite side for high winds and for when not there to keep it from slamming the dock.
Eliminating the lift is a big reason for considering a pontoon. Any experience/advice regarding keeping a pontoon moored safely at a dock appreciated.

Googled many options for covering a pontoon for the winter using elaborate framework. Has anyone tried running permanently installed and taut 1/4" aircraft cable @12' above the pontoon, with pipe insulation or other softener on the cable and along the top of exposed side rails? A 30X30' tarp could be hung over the cable and the railings on each side and secured tight at the bottom. I have two trees the pontoon can be parked between and slightly behind, with a cable between them to secure the long cable above the bow. I'd need to set a tall post to hold the cable behind the pontoon. We get snow, and the steep pitch provided by the @12' high peak should make it slide off. If req'd, can add straps over the cable and attached to the railings on each side. Also, 10X10' tarps could be threaded to the tent front/rear grommets as "doors".

Just looking to push EZ Button by throwing a secured tarp over the cable each year vs a construction project. And, like others storing their pontoon, avoid paying thousands of $ for shrink wrap and storage in the future.
Assuming you can visualize what's described, any feedback?

Thanks for your time!

captmello

Captain
Welcome! your storage idea sounds just fine, I build a giant sawhorse looking framework in my pontoon every fall using the same boards. takes about 15 min to screw together. no need to add doors at the end. a little snow wont hurt and I like to allow for some ventilation.

Regarding the mooring, I keep my pontoon on a lift because we get some pretty large waves that would push the boat and dock up on shore if left floating and tied to the dock. I did, however, after 2 years of manually cranking up the boat, bought one of the add on motors that attaches to the lift and runs off the boat battery. The lift motor is great since I have to raise the lift fully every night, just in case the wind picks up. Also my lift has a canopy that the boat tucks nicely up into and is, IMO, the best way to store a boat. It dries out overnight and doesn't require installing the cover on the boat, which can be a PITA to do with the boat on a lift or moored at the dock.

Good luck with whatever you do.

LeechlakepontoonpicsJuly2012004_zpsad4e864d.jpg

waterwurld

Cadet
captmello, thanks for your reply and your thumbs up on my storage idea.

Your setup at the dock is 1-A, and maybe I'll end up with something similar. For now, expect a big improvement just going from climbing around on my lift installing the bowrider cover to standing on the deck to install the pontoon cover.

I will evaluate how mooring at the dock goes before a decision to upgrade to the convenience of a pontoon lift (with trade-off of put in/haul out the lift!).

Thanks

ahicks

Captain
Our 'toon is right in front of the house and has a lot more shelter than the boat in the picture, but we still had issues from time to time when we have a big front move through. More than once I've had to rescue the boat as it was against the steel break wall with the dock it was tied to floating up against it. Waves big enough to lift the 'toon high enough where the mooring ropes would pull the anchors right out of the bottom, pull cleats off, etc. didn't happen often, but they did happen!

Anyway, the boat lift was a godsend for us. We only crank the boat up fully when we go on vacation or see a storm approaching. The rest of the time we just lift it high enough to make sure an off shore wind doesn't blow it off the lift (please don't ask how I learned that lesson!).

The boat is older, so we just cover the seats and console for the winter.

waterwurld

Cadet
ahicks, thanks for your reply-
The benefits of a pontoon lift are undeniably clear, but still want to avoid one if possible.
If tying off the other side to the jetty idea doesn't work at the dock, considering a well-anchored mooring buoy for the pontoon during high winds.

About 40 yr ago, we had a Glaspar G3 with the 4cyl 60HP Evinrude (a lot of weight for that 14' boat w/low transom). We kept the G3 on a buoy until it sunk twice from bouncing in big waves and back-filling with water -then it went on a lift. The G3 was lots of fun otherwise! At least that won't happen with a pontoon!

I'm determined to enjoy a floating deck next to the dock, and to no longer have put in/haul out and move a boat lift with changing lake level!

Thanks

ahicks

Captain
Many G3 memories here as well. That boat would get pretty scary at speed in a chop. That boat likely the best experience I had when picking out a hot rod 20 years later. I absolutely knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you need something much bigger than that if you're going to go fast....

I'm 66, and can still handle our lift without too much trouble when it comes to moves adjusting for lake level. I do cheat pulling it and putting it in over our break wall though. We have a small tractor with a front end loader on it that makes short work of that job....

Best of luck with whatever you end up with!

waterwurld

Cadet
That's cool you also had a G3!
Agree could be hard to control, but part of the fun. Really had to pay attention to what you were doing, and the water ahead.
Remember ours stood right up when I hit it, and when the bow dropped hang on -took off like a shot!
After it sank we called it the Green Submarine.

To roll our lift, I use HD hand carts slid under the lower crossbars, one in front and one in back. The handcarts work pretty well, but it's still a job to pull it out.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i keep mine on a wet slip 9 mouths and at home the other 3, its so much easier to walk down the ramp and go

done 2.JPG

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Agreed, especially when the ramp is in your front yard! We just give the lift wheel a few flips after starting the engine, and we're ready to go. Don't even have to mess with mooring lines....