New decking on old pontoon boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahicks

Captain
Oh man, you're talking about skinning the bottom of the floor! Please forgive me. Getting older and I'm a little slow some days...... -Al

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Removed the soggy old carpet and it was still dripping as it hit the garbage can. Removed a lot of deck screws and am about ready to order the plywood. Going to look at the difference in deck paints. The piece of marine plywood that I installed a few years ago seems to be holding up very well even with the constantly wet carpet on top of it. Looks like I have to buy four sheets of plywood to get the free shipping anyway.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I called about the new plywood this morning and told them that I need it delivered around 4:00 PM on what ever day they deliver it. She said we can give you a tracking number that will tell you what day it will be delivered. I told her that their page sates that "if it is delivered to a residence that the customer must be ready to manually unload the plywood from the truck." I told her that I have to have it delivered at that time so that I can have a couple of guys and a fork truck ready to unload the truck and put it in my garage. I am waiting for her to call back. Does it sound unreasonable to want it delivered when help is available?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
If you start in rear and then over lap the next then over lap the next and so on then when the water hits it it will not get under the aluminum. Like when you put metal on a building over lap then do the rain flows down over the next piece if the gap was reversed then water could enter on all of the over laps.
I just screwed the aluminum to the cross members using the self tapping screws that have the 5/16" head. I prop the aluminum sheet on one of those adjustable height roller stands to hold it up so that I can get it in place for screwing on. Then zip the screws in with a portable electric drill. I wouldn't underpin until I have everything else done or you just have to drop it down again. I was lucky enough to find the aluminum sheeting I needed at the salvage yard. Hate to think what it cost full price.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Kinda like the cable people saying we will be there between 12 and 5 and gets there at 6!!!

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Fedex advertises all over it's site that you can schedule deliveries for your convenience but then when you talk to them you have to nearly beg them to deliver when you want it. Set up now for the plywood to get here sometime after four P.M. like I asked them for. Don't mess with old retirees we have all the time in the world to play the game. It will be awhile before it will be warm enough to paint the plywood even in the garage.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Got the Tuff Coat paint and primer in about two days. I had replaced the bow piece of plywood a few years ago so it was pretty dirty so I took it to a car wash and power washed it let it dry good and then used a disc sander to clean off old glue and stuff. I laid all of the wood out in the shape of the deck and butted against each other and blew the floor and the plywood clean with a leaf blower. Friday I got up early and rolled the primer and the two coats of Tuff Coat on waiting for it to dry properly between coats. This is an all day process and you have to finish it when you start doing it so expect a long hard day. Heated the garage with a torpedo heater using diesel fuel and it stays about 85* and you have to keep the garage warm for several days for this stuff to cure properly and I figure that it is only costing me about $24 a day for diesel. Used a razor knife to score between the sheets so that the Tuff Coat wouldn't break loose when I separated the sheets. My biggest problem was that I didn't have a slow speed drill for mixing the paint. You have to use a mixer that will break up and mix in the rubber chunks and if the drill runs too fast the paint will boil up out of the one gallon cans in a hurry. That can make a mess in a hurry. I really like the looks of this Tuff Coat and it seems to be drying to a tough, hard surface. The medium blue is very bright and pretty.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Any updates on this? I’m about to order some tuff coat

Owner hasnt posted here in nearly a year, but has been on iboats as recently as Nov 2017. But didnt post any updates

Closed

please dont post to inactive topics

Status
Not open for further replies.