Fuel evaporates and engine leaking fuel

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i should be able to take a few pics tomorrow having to charge the wife's nikon up, cant find mine and yellow is how the red poly tanks end up from sun bleaching in a few years, and your cap may be fine, on some of the caps you have to line up and push down on the vent cap screw to get the threads to catch its like that from the factory

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ok as promised pictures, nothing special all standard stuff,i use a twin tank system i find it easier to run tank dry and refill it next time i am at the fuel dock, that keeps the mix consistent and i don't have to worrier about running out of fuel and i use a rubber line with quick disconnect fittings and a see through screen for water and partial detection fuel 1.JPG
fuel 2.JPG
fuel 3.JPG
fuel 4.JPG

Last edited:

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok uploading them. I like the placement of your bilge pump do you have a sink onboard? If so would love to know how that's plumbed. Do you think my motor is to deep it seems to be way down in the water. Maybe why steering is tight.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do I upload a pic it keeps say file exceeds limit. I'm trying to upload them from my iphone

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you may need to re size them 1024 is about as big as you can go, and that pump is to fill my live well and for a wash down hose

this may help with the pictures

Last edited:

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mh, Still not sure if they uploaded if you email me I will send pics via email. If not I will try to upload on laptop tomorrow instead of iPhone and ipad.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
cool, do you have fuel in it right now, if you do then you may be able to find the leak it all looks ok, an it looks like the fuel line goes directly into the motor , the floats in the carb is what stops the flow into the motor, if they don't seal it will leak even if its tilted, i would add fuel and tilt it to see

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would consider putting a shut off valve in the line somewhere just downstream of those double clamps. That will stop it from bleeding off while you are away. I will also say though that leaky carbs, or internal lines, or filters, should be taken care of, you don't want it bleeding off all day while you are out.

That is also a waste of a good filter, I think I'd get a fresh filter and hook that back up.

Last edited:

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is some fuel in it I put about three gallons in it the other day to get it loaded on the trailer. I like the idea of the in line cutoff and I will hook the filter back up. Is it ok for the line to go straight into the motor or do I need to put a connector on it? Also do y'all think it is sitting in the water too low? I know it's hard to steer under full throttle but easy any other time. I found a gas tank off a pontoon like mine on eBay that goes inside the metal pontoon like thing that holds the motor anyone think there would be a problem with using that type and doing away with the back corner tank I have now. Sorry for all the random questions. I'm fixing to remoldel my pontoon and I want it to be running great before I spend money on new carpet seats etc.

ahicks

Captain
Water line about half way down on the pontoon is pretty common.

I don't see any need for that quick coupler on the engine if you don't have the need for it. Without that quick coupler, an on/off valve (located at that filter as a good mounting point) sounds like a good plan here, especially if you have gas disapperaing....

I have one of those gas tanks that fit down inside that engine pod, and I don't care for it at all on our 20' boat. Full, it's very heavy, and the back of the boat sits noticeably lower when full. It holds something like 25 gallons, which is enough gas for months the way the 50hp Honda uses it. 6 gallons would be more than enough, and MUCH easier to make sure the gas is staying fresh. Converting to a portable tank as we speak.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info. I wish this merc sipped gas lol it's awful. But maybe because it's not tuned properly. Now I went to crank it and it just turned over. I sprayed a little starting fluid in top carb and it busted right off. What will cause it to not get any fuel on initial start up? Also I'm running a 14x13 p 3 blade prop. The prop has a little play in it meaning I can I wiggle it. Is that normal?

ahicks

Captain
Hard starting and fuel disappearing are both signs that you might be past due for carb rebuilds.

Wiggle is likely OK as long as you aren't getting any water or sings of water when you check the lower end lube.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It sucks because I just had them rebuilt twice in the past two years if they really did rebuild them. You can never tell these days. They do look really clean on the outside and inside the butterfly's.