Suntracker swim platform replace

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 SUNTRACKER party hut with the swim platform on top. I removed the top, (Yes, it was really heavy and awkward), and the wood does need replaced. I measured the marine grade plywood and noticed that it was 5/8". I am assuming that the roof was original, but could this have been replaced with 5/8" or do you guys think 5/8" is ok to use? I never felt any sagging while I was up there and I'm a pretty big dude. I don't want to add any more weight to the boat than I have to. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo256195.png
    photo256195.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 1

ahicks

Captain
Was the 5/8 laminated to fiberglass sheet or alum. on both sides? If so, that could add a lot of strength/regidity without a lot of weight.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I would think that there is other supports across there also. 5/8 should be fine.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was the 5/8 laminated to fiberglass sheet or alum. on both sides? If so, that could add a lot of strength/regidity without a lot of weight.

Not laminate. There was carpeting on the bottom that showed through the roof cross members which are aluminum. There was about 30 layers :) of paint on the top of the wood

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all of the input folks. To make the re-assembly easier (lighter), I might bolt down the aluminum framework first and then have someone pass me up the plywood and screw it down in place. Then there is a cap that goes around it, some flashing on the rear, and a short 6 inch railing that gets screwed down along with the access ladder. Should I paint this when done or carpet it or doesn't it matter, purely asthetic???

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Paint, carpet, it don't matter, It will fail later on either way, I'd seal the whole thing with vynalester, then scuff and carpet myself. More comfortable. But stays wet longer.

ahicks

Captain
The way things can get rockin and rollin up there, I'd be paying attention to the anti slip properties of anything you use up there. Goes without saying an unplanned dive from something that high could turn pretty nasty - especially if an unsuspecting guest/passenger was involved.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
agreed. I used anti-slip before and intend to again if I go sealer/paint. To be honest we use the space more for a roof over our heads than a platform for fun. The kids have gone up there a few times and jumped off. If I had a younger crowd on board they might sunbathe up there a bit more, but most of the passengers are older. Great input from all. appreciated.. Merry Christmas to all.